Subject: Question on reserved IEEE addresses and static address table

From: "Fink, Heiko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:49:14 +0200

Hello

do somebody know if the reserved IEEE addresses (01-80-C2-00-00-00..0F)
defined by 802.1D must be shown in the static address table by a switch ?
And if yes, if they can be deleted by the user ?

Best Regards
Heiko Fink

---

From: "Les Bell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 07:30:49 +0100

In 802.1D-1998, subclause 7.12.6 it states:

"Frames containing any of the group MAC addresses specified in Table 7-9 in
their destination address field shall not be relayed by the Bridge. They shall
be configured in the Permanent Database. Management shall not provide the
capability to modify or remove these entries from the Permanent or the Filtering
Databases. These group MAC addresses are reserved for assignment to standard
protocols, according to the criteria for such assignments (Clause 5.5 of ISO/IEC
TR 11802-2)."

Table 7-9 lists the addresses you refer to, so:

YES - they must appear in the Filtering Database.
NO - they may not be deleted (or modified) by the user.

Les...

"Fink, Heiko" <[email-masked]> on 26/06/2000 14:49:14

Sent by:  "Fink, Heiko" <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (Les Bell/GB/3Com)
Subject:  Question on reserved IEEE addresses and static address table

Hello

Best Regards
Heiko Fink