Subject: [anonsec] anonymous unauthenticated

From: hartmans-ietf at mit.edu (Sam Hartman)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:31:16 -0500

So, my current plan is to submit a charter to the IESG that uses
unauthenticated rather than anonymous.  I think that Joe would rather
I minimize the number of changes to do this.  So, I plan to start with
Joe's charter and make the minmimum number of changes to
useunauthenticated instead of anonymous.

My reasons for using unauthenticated are as follows:

* Anonymous created sufficient confusion early on that a lot of people
  stopped using the term; I was half-heartedly alternating between
  anonymous keying and unauthenticated, liking neither.  Others were
  using different phrases.

* I had intended to avoid the word anonymous when I made the revisions
  that ended up at the BOF charter, but failed to find a way of doing
  so that I liked.

* It came up again and with the exception of Joe there seems to be general support for avoiding the term anonymous.

If people can think of alternate phrasing that is neither anonymous
nor unauthenticated but that is reasonably clear, that would be
preferable to any of the alternatives.

--Sam

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:43:13 -0800

> preferable to any of the alternatives.

How about "uncredentialed"?

Joe