Subject: [anonsec] apology

From: kent at bbn.com (Stephen Kent)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:38:56 -0400

My recent message, with the subject "private response" was clearly 
intended to be sent only to Nico, not to the list.

None of the security area WG lists in which I participate have 
employed the CC convention used here, that resulted in this message, 
and one previous message, being sent to the list. Noneteheless, the 
error was mine.

It was not my intent to share my views on Joe's communication  skills 
with the list. I apologize to Joe for having sent the message to the 
list.

Steve

---

From: shep at alum.mit.edu (Tim Shepard)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:26:34 -0400

Mmmm.... mailing list forwarders that munge the Reply-to: field
leaving the From: field un-munged are evil, IMHO.  A couple
minutes in google can find numerous web pages explaining why.

  http://www.google.com/search?q=reply-to+harmful

Perhaps the btns WG mailing list should be moved to the normal
IETF mail servers whose behavior will be more predictable to those
of us who are accustomed to other IETF mailing lists?

(And the name changed appropriately to avoid using the term
 "anonymous" which causes more confusion than englightenment in
  many naive listeners (like me), and must therefore be used only
  with extreme care which is not entirely possible if the mailing
  list comes with that word (and a common abbreviation of it)
  stamped all over the headers of every message.)

			-Tim Shepard
			 shep at alum.mit.edu

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:49:48 -0700

Tim Shepard wrote:
> leaving the From: field un-munged are evil, IMHO.

The list has been changed to reply-to the original poster. The previous
configuration of the list is not uncommon, but has been changed at the
request of the chairs.

As to the name, the list to can renamed and remain at postel.org or
moved to ietf.org if the chairs determine the need, but it is also not
uncommon for BOF mailing list names not to exactly match the name of the
WG they end up becoming, nor for them to be hosted elswhere than ietf.org.

Joe

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 254 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://www.postel.org/pipermail/anonsec/attachments/20050610/61a3d47c/signature.bin

---

From: pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:58:04 -0400

Joe (CC: to the list),

> WG they end up becoming, nor for them to be hosted elswhere than 

I think the list name and hosting is fine, but I'd
appreciate if you changed the list comment from
"Discussion ... security" to something that more
clearly refers to the WG.

Thanks,

--Pekka

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:54:56 -0700

Done, both on the mailman pages as well as the postel.org/services.html
and postel.org/anonsec sites.

Joe