Subject: [anonsec] SAB without connection latching

From: Black_David at emc.com ([email-masked])
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:28:15 -0500

Steve,

> I'll just note that 2401bis (soon to be issued as 4301, yeah!) 
> adopts a processing model that relies on decorrelation to simplify 
> and speed up processing in SG and BITW implementations. Making 
> frequent changes to the SPD, as suggested in your message, may be 
> computationally costly.

Perhaps this ought to be done via the SAD rather than the SPD?
Using an SAD entry for a "might be dead, but not 100% sure" SA has
some resemblances to what's already necessary to deal with dead peers,
and inflicting temporary discard rules on the SPD is going to make
it significantly harder to check whether the decorrelated SPD that
is being used actually implements the intended policy.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david at emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: kent at bbn.com (Stephen Kent)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:07:04 -0500

>is being used actually implements the intended policy.

Good suggestion.

Steve