Subject: [anonsec] mailing list problems

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 06:16:07 -0700

Hi, all,

Nicolas Williams wrote:
> Joe,
> 
> Please make your filters smart enough to allow postings by subscribers
> or by senders who've posted before or remove the filters altogether.

While the idea that "if you posted before, all future posts are OK"
seems useful on the surface, there are two problems:

	1) that's not a setting in Mailman (of which I am aware;
		if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know off-list)

	2) that won't stop the spam (we already get) spoofed with
	source addresses of regular posters, as well as other
	subscribed addresses

> If you don't then I will ask the chair to create a btns at ietf.org list
> and move the WG discussion to it.  (The chair may refuse to do that, of
> course.)

That's your perogative (and the chair's). I provide the service I can,
with the resources available. I don't have the resources to rewrite
Mailman every time a transient like this comes up, nor would I expect
the IETF system to either.

In general, we receive very little spam, and trip up the system on cases
like this rarely.

If you believe that there is a potential problem, it might be useful to
start by changing the subject line, since most of our filters weigh the
subject line heavily.

Joe (as list admin)

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 250 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/anonsec/attachments/20070601/7a8b5fb0/signature.bin

---

From: Nicolas.Williams at sun.com (Nicolas Williams)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:42:32 -0500

> 	source addresses of regular posters, as well as other

So let's make it the IETF's problem.  They have a tools team.

> In general, we receive very little spam, and trip up the system on cases

I've been annoyed more than once by these filters.  From what you say
any subject line with "call for" causes this.  Well.  In a consensus
driven organization calls for consensus are common, so your filter is
broken.  Please fix it, or just turn it off.

> start by changing the subject line, since most of our filters weigh the

Absolutely not.  I will not try to guess what possible filters you have,
nor try to remember which ones I've tripped over in the past, when
answering someone else's e-mail.

In this case I was answering an e-mail from the WG chair -- I won't look
askance at the chairs' e-mails' subject lines!

Nico
--

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:48:49 -0700

Nicolas Williams wrote:
...
> broken.  Please fix it, or just turn it off.

I will proceed with fixing the filter, which has been delayed replying
to your repeated complaints.

:-(

Joe

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 250 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/anonsec/attachments/20070601/80573c94/signature.bin

---

From: Nicolas.Williams at sun.com (Nicolas Williams)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:27:12 -0500

> to your repeated complaints.

Excuse me?

The first complaint you rejected.  The second caused you to finally fix
it, and it's my fault that it's taking you some time to fix it?!

For the record, I don't care if it takes you a day or three to fix it,
as long as you do.

Nico
--