Subject: [btns] Suggestion for Better-Than-Nothing Security (btns)

From: "tim robertson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:07:10 -0500

Hi, I have a suggestion for Better-Than-Nothing Security (btns). IPSEC
should integrate some more encryption features like Obfuscated
TCP(code.google.com/p/obstcp/) and you should work with Microsoft/Linux
to get them to release a high priority windowsupdate for all windows
xp/vista/server operating systems so everyone can install it. Same thing
for Linux too. Then IPSEC should be enabled by default for Windows
xp/vista/server and Linux. Can you pass on my suggestion?Thanks

-- 
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 06:44:43 -0700

I have replied to the poster, who has also posted to TCPM with this
suggestion.

I'm not sure what the best place in the IETF to have this discussion is
(it may also depend on the reason for wanting the proposed approach),
but it seems well off-topic for this WG.

Joe

tim robertson wrote:
> xp/vista/server and Linux.
>  
> Can you pass on my suggestion?
> Thanks
> 
> -- 
> Be Yourself @ mail.com!
> Get a *Free* Account at www.mail.com <http://www.mail.com/Product.aspx>!
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> btns mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/btns

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:53:36 -0400

At 12:07 AM -0500 5/28/09, tim robertson wrote:
>Hi, I have a suggestion for Better-Than-Nothing Security (btns). 
>IPSEC should integrate some more encryption features like Obfuscated 
>TCP(code.google.com/p/obstcp/) and you should work with 
>Microsoft/Linux to get them to release a high priority windowsupdate 
>for all windows xp/vista/server operating systems so everyone can 
>install it. Same thing for Linux too. Then IPSEC should be enabled 
>by default for Windows xp/vista/server and Linux.
>
>Get a Free Account at <http://www.mail.com/Product.aspx>www.mail.com!
>
>

IPsec is IPsec. It is not a package of software libraries like Open 
SSL.  So, it makes no sense to suggest adding Obfuscated TCP to IPsec.

IPsec has been available in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X for several years.

Because IPsec (not the BTNS variant) requires access controls and an 
authentication capability, it is not generally feasible to speak of 
it being enabled by default.

Steve