Subject: [ietf-calsify] [Fwd: Re: ABNF intent in rfc2445bis-09]

From: Ken Shoemake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 02:47:44 -0500

Subject: Re: [ietf-calsify] ABNF intent in rfc2445bis-09
From: Ken Shoemake <[email-masked]>
To: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 16:10:17 -0500

Bernard Desruisseaux wrote:
> Given that we are already making reference to RFC5234, and that our 
> intent is NOT to permit linear white space around delimiters or string 
> segments, what change or clarifying text would you like to see added in 
> the draft?
In section 2, Basic Grammar and Conventions, I would revise the text to 
include a new note, and move the note on notes, as follows.
   ----------
    This memo makes use of both a descriptive prose and a more formal
    notation for defining the calendaring and scheduling format.

       Note: All indented editorial notes, such as this one, are intended
       to provide the reader with additional information.  The
       information is not essential to the building of an implementation
       conformant with this memo.  The information is provided to
       highlight a particular feature or characteristic of the memo.

    The notation used in this memo is the ABNF notation of [RFC5234].
    Readers intending on implementing the format defined in this memo
    should be familiar with this notation in order to properly interpret
    the specifications of this memo.

       Note: Spaces and horizontal tabs (formally, linear white space)
       are only allowed where explicitly stated in the notation, never
       implicitly; see section 3.1 of [RFC5234].

    All numeric values used in this memo are given in decimal notation.

    All names of properties, property parameters, enumerated property
    values and property parameter values are case-insensitive.  However,
    all other property values are case-sensitive, unless otherwise
    stated.
   ----------
    This memo makes use of both a descriptive prose and a more formal
    notation for defining the calendaring and scheduling format.

    The notation used in this memo is the ABNF notation of [RFC5234].
    Readers intending on implementing the format defined in this memo
    should be familiar with this notation in order to properly interpret
    the specifications of this memo.

    All numeric values used in this memo are given in decimal notation.

    All names of properties, property parameters, enumerated property
    values and property parameter values are case-insensitive.  However,
    all other property values are case-sensitive, unless otherwise
    stated.

       Note: All indented editorial notes, such as this one, are intended
       to provide the reader with additional information.  The
       information is not essential to the building of an implementation
       conformant with this memo.  The information is provided to
       highlight a particular feature or characteristic of the memo.
   ----------

The single new sentence provides two benefits.
  1. It states the intent here, rather than forcing the reader to sift 
through and interpret a large secondary document.
  2. It shields this document from historical interpretations of ABNF so 
there can be no question of accidental intent.

Although files will be read by programs more than humans, text formats 
frequently admit flexible use of linear white space. When going against 
convention it is best to alert readers explicitly.

  -- Ken Shoemake
_______________________________________________
ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify