Subject: [ietf-calsify] EXRULE Question

From: Adrian Crum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:41:44 -0800 (PST)

While browsing the internet I ran across the notes from 2006 regarding deprecating or removing EXRULE and EXDATE from RFC 2445. The comments made at the time indicated that no one was using it.

I'm curious - without those properties, how would one express a Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM event, except on US federal holidays?

I created an example iCalendar based on the original RFC:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Apache Open For Business//Work Effort Calendar//EN
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
DESCRIPTION:Adrian's Calendar
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20081112T180905Z
CREATED:20081111T231419Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20081111T232507Z
X-ORG-OFBIZ-WORKEFFORT-ID:10020
SUMMARY:Work Schedule
DESCRIPTION:Work Schedule
ORGANIZER;CN=THE ADMINISTRATOR:
DTSTART:20080101T000043
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH,FR;BYHOUR=8
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=1;BYDAY=3MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=1;BYMONTHDAY=1
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=2;BYDAY=3MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=5;BYDAY=-1MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=7;BYMONTHDAY=4
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=9;BYDAY=1MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=10;BYDAY=2MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=11;BYMONTHDAY=11
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=11;BYDAY=4TH
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=12;BYMONTHDAY=25
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

I can't find any mention of an alternative to using the EXRULE property, so where would one go from here?

-Adrian

_______________________________________________
ietf-calsify mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.osafoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-calsify

---

From: Bernard Desruisseaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:34:04 -0500

Adrian Crum wrote:
> While browsing the internet I ran across the notes from 2006
> regarding deprecating or removing EXRULE and EXDATE from RFC 2445.
> The comments made at the time indicated that no one was using it.

Only EXRULE was deprecated.  EXDATE can still be used.

> 
> I'm curious - without those properties, how would one express a
> Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM event, except on US federal
> holidays?

Now, you are forced to specify EXDATE one by one. And of course the 
number of EXDATE needs to be finite...

Which is what you'll end up with if you create your event with pretty 
much any calendar client in use today...

Cheers,
Bernard

> 
> I created an example iCalendar based on the original RFC: >
> BEGIN:VCALENDAR