Subject: [CCAMP] WG draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode-13 - Suggested modification on modulation format encodings

From: "PELOSO, PIERRE (PIERRE)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:14:46 +0200

Hi Young and Greg,

Please find a proposed modification to paragraph 5.2 of the draft that simplifies the Resource Block Information TLV.
These modification apply to the formerly named Input Modulation Type list sub-sub-TLV, and allows suppressing the paragraph
5.7. named OutputModulation Type list sub-sub-TLV

5.2. Modulation type List sub-sub-TLV

   This sub-sub-TLV contains a list of acceptable input modulation
   formats.

   Type := Input Modulation Format List

   Value := A list of Modulation Format Fields

   5.2.1. Modulation Format Field

   Two different types of modulation format fields are defined: a
   standard modulation field and a vendor specific modulation field.
   Both start with the same 32 bit header shown below.

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |S|I|E|    Modulation ID        |          Length               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Where S bit set to 1 indicates a standardized modulation format and
   S bit set to 0 indicates a vendor specific modulation format. The
   length is the length in bytes of the entire modulation type field.

   Where I bit set to 1 indicates it is an input modulation constraint
   and I bit set to 0 indicates it is not an input modulation constraint.

   Where E bit set to 1 indicates it is an ouput modulation constraint
   and E bit set to 0 indicates it is not an ouput modulation constraint.

   The format for the standardized type for the modulation is
   given by:

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |1|X|X|     Modulation ID       |             Length            |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |   Possible additional modulation parameters depending upon    |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     :   the modulation ID                                           :
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      Modulation ID (S bit = 1), I bit and E bit being set to relevant values.

   Takes on the following currently defined values:

      0        Reserved

      1        optical tributary signal class NRZ 1.25G

      2        optical tributary signal class NRZ 2.5G

      3        optical tributary signal class NRZ 10G

      4        optical tributary signal class NRZ 40G

      5        optical tributary signal class RZ 40G

   Note that future modulation types may require additional parameters
   in their characterization.

   The format for vendor specific modulation field (for input
   constraint) is given by:

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |0|X|X|  Vendor Modulation ID   |          Length               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                       Enterprise Number                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     :   Any vendor specific additional modulation parameters        :
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      Modulation ID (S bit = 1), I bit and E bit being set to relevant values.

   Vendor Modulation ID

     This is a vendor assigned identifier for the modulation type.

   Enterprise Number

     A unique identifier of an organization encoded as a 32-bit
     integer. Enterprise Numbers are assigned by IANA and managed
     through an IANA registry [RFC2578<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2578>].

   Vendor Specific Additional parameters

     There can be potentially additional parameters characterizing the
     vendor specific modulation.

---

From: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:25:28 +0000

Hi Pierre,

This is reasonable to me. As long as this is consistent with Cyril's encoding suggestion, we are set to go. Let me know if there's some difference. Otherwise, this will be reflected in the revision.

Thanks,
Young

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of PELOSO, PIERRE (PIERRE)
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [CCAMP] WG draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode-13 - Suggested modification on modulation format encodings

Hi Young and Greg,

   formats.

      0                   1                   2                   3

   given by:

      0                   1                   2                   3

     :   the modulation ID                                           :

      0        Reserved

   constraint) is given by:

      0                   1                   2                   3

     |                       Enterprise Number                       |

   Vendor Modulation ID

   Enterprise Number