Subject: [CCAMP] New draft: YANG model for finite state machine, recovery use case

From: nicola sambo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 15:29:58 +0200

Dear all,

we submitted a draft which extends YANG to model events (e.g., physical
layer degradations), actions (e.g., FEC adaptation), and finite state
machine. The models and a use case are described.

Please, kindly provide any comments and suggestions to help us improving
the work.

Here the link:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sambo-opsawg-ccamp-supa-ext-yang-fsm/

Please also find few slides enclosed.

Many thanks,
Nicola

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 20:30:45 +0100

Hi Nicola,

I've only given your draft a quick scan, but I think that some of your 
terminology appears to be slightly confusing to those familiar with YANG.

The draft states that it is 'extending YANG' but I don't think that it is.

YANG itself is just a data modelling language.  The YANG language is 
extensible by using the "extension" keyword, but from a quick look 
through your draft I don't think that you are making use of that.

Instead, and I apologise if I am misrepresenting your work, I think that 
the draft defines two YANG data models:

(1) the first YANG data model describes a fairly generic event mechanism.
(2) the second YANG data model, augmenting the first, describes fairly 
generic FSMs.

I'm not sure I can really judge whether these are good things to model 
in YANG, but if this work does progress, or if you present it at Prague, 
then you may want to consider tweaking the description and terminology a 
bit.

Hopefully the feedback is of use.

Kind regards,
Rob

On 03/07/2017 14:29, nicola sambo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we submitted a draft which extends YANG to model events (e.g., 
> physical layer degradations), actions (e.g., FEC adaptation), and 
> finite state machine. The models and a use case are described.
>
> Please, kindly provide any comments and suggestions to help us 
> improving the work.
>
> Here the link: 
> _______________________________________________
> CCAMP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp

---

From: nicola sambo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 12:52:44 +0200

Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply and feedback. The draft actually defines what you
stated, event and FSM by augmenting events. So, the word "Extending" in the
document can be misleading in this sense. We will address that.

Thanks. Best,
Nicola

2017-07-03 21:30 GMT+02:00 Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>:

> extensible by using the "extension" keyword, but from a quick look through
> your draft I don't think that you are making use of that.
>
> I'm not sure I can really judge whether these are good things to model in
> YANG, but if this work does progress, or if you present it at Prague, then
> you may want to consider tweaking the description and terminology a bit.
>
> Here the link: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sambo-opsawg-ccamp-
> supa-ext-yang-fsm/
>
> CCAMP mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
>
>
>