Subject: [Cellar] Adding a new stereo mode for 360 mesh projections

From: Aaron Colwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:11:00 +0000

Hi,

I work on the Spherical Video V2 spec
<https://github.com/google/spatial-media/blob/master/docs/spherical-video-v2-rfc.md>
and
I'm working on this patch <https://github.com/google/spatial-media/pull/153> to
update the semantics for stereo content that uses a different projection
mesh for each eye. I wanted to get some feedback from folks here about
adding a new StereoMode enum value that essentially signals that the (u,v)
mappings for each eye are specified elsewhere. In my case they are
specified in the per-eye meshes, but I could also imagine other
descriptions for non-360 content. The intent here is to still be able to
have the stereo mode indicate the content is stereoscopic, but the actual
layout of the pixels for each eye is freeform and does not fall into the
usual left-right or top-bottom forms.

Would folks here be supportive of adding a new enum value for this use case?

Thanks,
Aaron