Subject: [Cellar] Anyone heard of "MagicYUV"?

From: "Peter B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 14:31:11 +0100

Just stumbled over "MagicYUV":

"A high-performance, ultra-fast, mathematically lossless video codec for
recording, archiving, post-production and editing at high resolutions."

https://www.magicyuv.com/

Seems to have originated in 2014, and it seems quite proprietary.
Speed and compression ratio seems to be comparable to HuffYUV.

Here's the Doom9 Forum thread about it:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170227

Thought it's worth knowing what else is out there :)

Regards,
Pb

---

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:51:00 +0100

Peter B. wrote:

>and it seems quite
>proprietary.

Yes, it is. I have an SDK (not the current version 2), but
they keep the codec itself "secret" and I didn't had the
energy so far for doing some reverse engineering.

I suspect HuffYUV has been the starting point, as many of us
did. I could perform some tests with resonance patterns that
hurt HuffYUV which would give a clue, if needed.

Best regards, Reto

AV Preservation by reto.ch
chemin du Suchet 5 | 1024 Ecublens | Switzerland
Web: https://reto.ch | Twitter: @retoch

---

From: "Peter B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:03:36 +0100

> hurt HuffYUV which would give a clue, if needed.

Thanksalot for your input!

But don't bother doing anything with MagicYUV.
Since its author doesn't want it to be open and accessible, I don't see
any need in further investigating this codec.

Just posted it here so we know what else "exists" ;)

Nice greetings,
Pb