Subject: [Cellar] Average compression on VHS/DigiBeta material?

From: "Peter B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 16:20:36 +0200

Hi everyone!

I'm increasingly being asked for compression performance of FFV1.
All my tests so far have shown that it is very depending on the source
material.

So I thought it might be a good idea to collect real-world numbers :)
Therefore, I'd be very grateful if you could provide your experiences.

For example, the numbers I know for 8bpc for example are like this:
(PAL 720x576 4:2:2, PCM 48kHz/16bit)

-------------------
  * VHS:         370 MB/Min average (but can go up to 600+ with very
broken material)
  * DigiBeta:  650 MB/Min average (but can go up to over 700 MB)
-------------------

Compression for other sources (especially film) are of course
interesting too, but I thought it'd be good to start with something
small and easy :)

Thanks and nice greetings,
Peter