Subject: [Cellar] Editing colour metadata of Matroska file with mkvpropedit?

From: Kieran O Leary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 12:07:11 +0100

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to add or edit colour metadata in
Matroska files with mkvpropedit? I'm thinking of Transfer Characteristics,
Color Primaries, Matrix Coefficients. Looking at the values in `mkvpropedit
-l`, I don't see these values listed. Could this be added? This could allow
users to inject better description into their files without going the
ffmpeg route and creating a new file.

Best,

Kieran.

---

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:18:11 +0200

Hey,

> Matroska files with mkvpropedit?

Not yet, no. Dave has already filed an request for it[1] two weeks
ago. I will get around to it someday, but I cannot give you an ETA.

Unfortunately it's not just a question of adding a couple of entries in
a table somewhere as they're all located in their own master element
which neither mkvpropedit nor the GUI's header editor is currently ready
for (yet).

Kind regards,
mosu

[1]  https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/2038

---

From: Kieran O Leary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 12:39:24 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Arg, I'm really sorry about the duplication here. I wasn't following that
repo, though I am now!

> Thanks for clarifying. What is the difference between those colour
elements and something like the 'Language' element, which I can set with
`edit Track:v1 --set language=French`? I can't see a distinction between
these two elements by just looking at the IETF draft spec.

Best,

Kieran.

---

From: Moritz Bunkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:50:09 +0200

Hey,

> elements and something like the 'Language' element, which I can set
> with `edit Track:v1 --set language=French`? I can't see a distinction
> between these two elements by just looking at the IETF draft spec.

The "Language" element is a direct child of the "TrackEntry" element,
whereas e.g. the "Range" element is a child of "Colour" which is a child
of "Video" which is a child of "TrackEntry".

mkvpropedit and the GUI's header editor can deal with elements that are
direct children of "TrackEntry", "TrackEntry → Audio" and "TrackEntry →
Video", but not with two levels down.

I'll have to add code that removes the "Colour" master if none of its
children is set and adds the master otherwise. The GUI's header editor
doesn't have three levels of visualization yet.

I'm not saying it's an insurmountable amount of work, far from it, but
it's not a trivial change either.

Kind regards,
mosu

---

From: Kieran O Leary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 14:22:05 +0100

Hi Moritz,

> of "Video" which is a child of "TrackEntry".
Makes perfect sense. EBML really is like XML!

Best,

Kieran.