Subject: Re: [Cellar] Matroska: Lofty goals in the menu section

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 09:34:04 +0200

hubblec4 wrote:

>could you imagine to share your exercise with me/us?

I have included some of our experimentations in the presentation
for Vienna. I could add this one too, although all the others
come from the production side and are not academics' playground.

Best regards, Reto

---

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:08:49 +0200

IMO we should keep the "chapter codec" approach. It seems flexible
enough to allow a lot of things.

Then there's the question of which codec to define, if any. IMO the
Matroska one should be kept as well. It doesn't contain a lot of
commands and it's supported by a few players.

The DVD one should go. It's incomplete and not well supported (I fixed
basic support in VLC recently, but still). But there's the legal
aspect. It's based on reverse engineered DVD specifications.

2017-09-26 9:34 GMT+02:00 Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar

-- 
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman

---

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 10:38:59 +0200

Steve Lhomme wrote:

>IMO we should keep the "chapter codec" approach. It seems
>flexible enough to allow a lot of things.
>
>Then there's the question of which codec to define, if any. IMO
>the Matroska one should be kept as well. It doesn't contain a
>lot of commands and it's supported by a few players.

I agree.

>The DVD one should go. It's incomplete and not well supported
>(I fixed basic support in VLC recently, but still). But there's
>the legal aspect. It's based on reverse engineered DVD
>specifications.

I know. Yet prime numbers are never illegal ;-)

Sadly, archives have to deal with DVDs. The content should be
"migrated" as long as the drives are available and cheap.
Therefore I personally consider Matroska an excellent solution
for this purpose.

Best regards, Reto