Subject: [Cellar] Matroska: Lofty goals in the menu section

From: Ashley Blewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 09:43:27 -0400

Hello, I've opened up an Issue to remove some of the Menu Specification
section: https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-specification/issues/201

The Menu Specification has not previously been included in the Matroska
draft, but we are currently building with it, according to the Makefile, so
I assume it will appear in the next iteration?

Ashley

---

From: Steve Lhomme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:27:19 +0200

This text surely doesn't belong in the specs.

The menu specificiation should probably be its own document, as it was
before. We just need to make sure the corresponding elements are well
described in the general Matroska specifications. Because we won't be
able to reference documents that will be ready at a (much) later date.

2017-09-25 15:43 GMT+02:00 Ashley Blewer <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> Cellar mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar
>

-- 
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman

---

From: Derek Buitenhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:31:15 +0100

> able to reference documents that will be ready at a (much) later date.

This may be off topic, but... has there ever even been a Matroska file
with menus produced? If not, is it even worth keeping alive?

- Derel

---

From: Hendrik Leppkes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:13:57 +0200

> with menus produced? If not, is it even worth keeping alive?

I think its definitely something that should be considered to be
dropped entirely. In its current form it has never really been used in
the real world, and its also quite an antiquated approach, mimicking
DVD menus.
The documentation in the current matroska specs has been called a
"draft" since forever and is full of language like "we'll try to..."

- Hendrik

---

From: hubblec4 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:36:51 +0200

> "draft" since forever and is full of language like "we'll try to..."

Hi Hendrik,

I know your are not a friend of menus and I don't like to remove things, 
but in this case maybe you are right.
The Matroska DVD menu was / is never used.
One important point (for me) are the specs which have to expand to 
discribe this system.
All DVD Commands are now also in the Matroska specs with a description 
of their "new" usage.
For the Matroska-Splitter developer it will be also much work to 
implement this system.

But Matroska without a menu support is not good.
A simple container like mp4 has menu support.
Matroska can use his own Native menu system to get a simple, powerful 
menu function.

Best regards
Martin Below