Subject: Re: [Cellar] Matroska: Lofty goals in the menu section

From: Reto Kromer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:46:20 +0200

Derek Buitenhuis wrote:

>This may be off topic, but... has there ever even been a
>Matroska file with menus produced? If not, is it even worth
>keeping alive?

Yes, of course! I did, but it was an exercise for the students,
not in production. I do neither know one who did in production.

Best regards, Reto

---

From: hubblec4 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:06:25 +0200

> not in production. I do neither know one who did in production.
Hey Reto,

could you imagine to share your exercise with me/us?

@Derek
I have tried to build Matroska DVD menu mkv's with DVDMenuXtractor(DMX).
This tool is very old and not compatible with the new MKVToolNix(mkvmerge).
So I can't test such files. Another problem is, that VLC is the only one 
with such a support, and unfortunately it works not really good.

While I studied Matroska, I found the "Medium-Linking-System" and with 
this system I have write a Matroska Menu Editor. Such menus are not a 
full menu like we know from DVD or Bluray, but it was my door to a "new 
Matroska Menu" which is grown in my mind.

Best regards
Martin Below