Subject: [clouds] Fwd: Clouds bar BoF Preso Slides (IETF-77, 25March2010)

From: Bhumip Khasnabish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:59:14 -0400

Dear All,

Below please find the slides (texts, web links, etc.) that we used during
IETF-77 Clouds bar BoF.

As we discussed during the session, we plan to conduct a survey of
Cloud-based systems and services, and prepare a report for presenting during
IETF-78 in Maastricht, Netherlands (July 25-30, 2010). I plan to publish an
outline (proposal) of that Survey Report and the notes from the bar BoF
session very soon.

Thank you very much for your continued interest and contributions.

Bhumip Khasnabish ([email-masked])

Clouds bar BoF Convener

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IETF-77 Clouds bar BoF
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Please send comments to

Bhumip Khasnabish ([email-masked] )

Clouds bar BoF Convener

Pacific B room (Ballroom level, 2nd floor)

Hilton Anaheim, CA, USA

11:30 AM, Thursday, March 25, 2010

*****************Slide-2*************************

What is a Cloud-based System?

•       Cloud-based systems are conveniently-connected modular blocks of
resources

–      Both physical and virtual modularizations of resources are possible

–      For this discussion, the resources include computing (CPU),
communications (bandwidth), memory (storage), management, database,
software, applications, services, interconnectivity, etc.

–      The objective is to make the resources available ubiquitously for
mission-specific applications and services in order to support the ultimate
level of privacy/security, scalability and reliability cost-effectively and
without the headache of owning and maintaining the infrastructure

•       Clouds Discussion Archive:

–      http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/clouds/current/maillist.html

•       NIST definition

–      *http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/SNS/cloud-computing/ *

*****************Slide-3*************************

Service over Cloud

•       Utilize (stitch, weave, embroider, … ) the resources from Cloud to
provision, create, deliver, and maintain an End-to-End Service

•       Use the service only when you Need it

•       Pay only for the time duration and type of use of service   (incl.
the costs for resources used)

*****************Slide-4*************************

Problem Statement

•       There is no Standard Reference Framework for Cloud Services

–      May need to develop a ref. framework

•       Need to define

–      Resources Availability Announcement Protocol

–      Cloud Resources Reservation Protocol

–      Cloud Resources Authentication Mechanism

–      Cloud Resources Privacy and Protection Mechanism

–       Cloud Resources API

•       Need Cloud Resources List/Pool Registrar (a server)

•       Universal Resources Description Language (URDL)

*****************Slide-5*************************

•       Conduct a survey of Cloud-based systems and services, and prepare a
report

•       Determine what can be, and needs to be done in IETF/IRTF

–      Synergize with what are being done in e.g., APP/decade, IRTF/vnrg,
TSV/nfsv4, OPS/netconf, ..

•       Define Scope and Charter, and discuss through the mailing list (
[email-masked])

•       Report back  during the IETF-78

*****************Slide-6*************************

Questions & Answers (including discussions, comments, concerns, issues, next
step, etc.)

*****************Slide-7*************************

The NEED for open Standards is reviewed, as discussed in the article from
the following Website:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18172802/Cloud-Computing-Use-Cases-Whitepaper

*****************Slide-8*************************

Main concerns about Cloud Storage are as follows:

   - Security
   - Reliability
   - Performance
   - Cost
   - Regulatory Concerns

*****************Slide-9*************************

US Federal Gov. Security NEEDs (Source: IEEE ComSoc Region 1 Presentation)

•       Not all cyber threats are equal. They vary in terms of intentions,
technical sophistication, access methods, financing and tools and
techniques. FIVE different levels of cyber threats can be considered:

–      *Cyber Vandalism*: Widespread non-targeted attacks over the Internet
designed to cause disruption of services

–      *Cyber Crime* : Adversaries motivated by greed or ideology

–      *Cyber Surveillance** *: Broad based general surveillance conducted
via internet-based attacks designed to gain large amounts of information
held by the target

–      *Cyber Espionage*: Specifically targeted espionage using a number of
highly sophisticated approaches

–      *Cyber Warfare* : Multi-prong attacks to degrade or destroy an
opponent’s use of its information infrastructure

*****************Slide-10*************************

Service Providers’ Security NEEDs (Source: IEEE ComSoc Region 1
Presentation)

•       TWELVE (12) layers of information services defense are used in a US
tier-1 service provider’s Wireline networks.  That company is merging the
Business and Telecom carrier-class networks together to form the Wireline
network.  The 12 layers of security include the following..

–      Physical

–      People

–      Compliance

–      Training

–      Business continuity planning

–      Operations

–      Governance

–      Policies

–      Procurement

–      Network communications

–      Software

–      Management

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:06:07 -0800

Are there minutes?

Melinda

---

From: Bhumip Khasnabish <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 13:09:28 -0400

Yes, will publish the notes from the Clouds bar BoF session soon. Thanks and
BR.
Bhumip

-- 
Best Regards.

Bhumip Khasnabish (Mobile:+001-781-752-8003, [email-masked])

© 2010 Bhumip Khasnabish. Do not view, print, forward, and save the content
of this email if you are not the intended recipient of the communiqué.