Subject: [clouds] fwd: tentative agenda for Clouds bar BoF during IETF-78 in Maastricht

From: Bhumip Khasnabish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:54:41 -0400

Dear All,

Here is a list of items for the IETF-78 Clouds bar BoF

Survey of SDOs/WGSs -- Bhumip
Clouds Ref. Framework -------- "
Industry Gaps ---------------------- "
List of possible work items ---- "
Break
Protocol and (client & server side) APIs ---------------- Sam (Google)
VPN Extension to Pvt Cloud -------------------------------- Ning (Verizon
Business), Jin et al (ZTE)
CloudAudit and Logging -------------------------------------- Gene
(AlertLogic)
Clouds based Video Streaming ---------------------------- Dr. Chen
(ForceTech)
Resources Mobility and Multi-Tenancy Support ----- Monique et al (Cisco)

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best Regards.

Bhumip

Bhumip Khasnabish (Mobile:+001-781-752-8003, [email-masked])

---

From: Gene Golovinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:04:34 -0500

Bhumip.
As far as I know Sam's topic and mine are very complimentary in nature.
Would it make sense to have me follow Sam right away?

Cheers.
--Gene

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bhumip Khasnabish
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clouds] fwd: tentative agenda for Clouds bar BoF during IETF-78 in Maastricht

Dear All,

Survey of SDOs/WGSs -- Bhumip
Clouds Ref. Framework -------- "
Industry Gaps ---------------------- "
List of possible work items ---- "
Break
Protocol and (client & server side) APIs ---------------- Sam (Google)
VPN Extension to Pvt Cloud -------------------------------- Ning (Verizon Business), Jin et al (ZTE)
CloudAudit and Logging -------------------------------------- Gene (AlertLogic)
Clouds based Video Streaming ---------------------------- Dr. Chen (ForceTech)
Resources Mobility and Multi-Tenancy Support ----- Monique et al (Cisco)

Best Regards.

Bhumip

Bhumip Khasnabish (Mobile:+001-781-752-8003, [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>)

---

From: Bhumip Khasnabish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:18:50 -0400

Dear Gene,

Thanks for the inputs and suggestion.

Sure, we can do that adjustment, and will do that.
Best.

Bhumip

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Gene Golovinsky <[email-masked]>wrote:

>  Bhumip.
>
> As far as I know Sam’s topic and mine are very complimentary in nature.
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
> Behalf Of *Bhumip Khasnabish
> *Sent:* Monday, July 12, 2010 7:55 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [clouds] fwd: tentative agenda for Clouds bar BoF during
> IETF-78 in Maastricht
>
>
>
> Dear All,
>

---

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:58:13 -0500

Dear all, 

Clouds are such a broad area. In addition to APIs, security and server
technologies, there are many aspects of Network Technologies as well, which
are essential to Clouds. There bound to be multiple IETF working groups, if
established, to address variety of concrete network problems and solutions
for Clouds.  

One of the Clouds application scenarios is Cloud Computing service, like
Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), which allows users (clients) to
create their own virtual servers and virtual subnets. There are many
potential services which Cloud Computing services could offer to their
clients. Here are just some examples of those services:

-         A client can request a group of virtual servers and their
associated virtual subnet,

-         A client can specify policies among multiple subnets they
purchased,

-         A client can specify preferred geographic locations for some of
the virtual servers they purchased, 

-         A client can specify redundancy criteria, like two virtual servers
on two different physical servers or in two different locations, etc.  

In order to efficiently support those services, network has to support
virtual subnet, i.e. one Layer 2 network spanning across multiple locations,
in addition to large amount of hosts in Layer 2. 

It is possible for Cloud Computing service to have a network design that
each virtual subnet is mapped one independent Layer 2 network. But this kind
of design would require huge amount of administrative and planning work to
properly partition servers, switches to appropriate Layer 2 network. The
problem is that virtual servers and virtual subnets purchased by clients
change all the time. It is a lot of administrative work to change Layer 2
network partition each time there is a client request. Having a large amount
of virtual machines in one Layer 2 network can simplify some aspects of
Cloud Computing service design and management.

Therefore, we are recommending IETF to create a working group to develop
solutions in this area. There is a Bar BOF scheduled at 78th IETF on Thurs
(July 29) 11:30am ~1pm to review the problems and discuss potential
solutions. I hope those of you who are interested in network problems for
Clouds can come to this Bar BOF and contribute your ideas. 

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/BarBofsIETF78Arp222

Linda Dunbar

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Bhumip Khasnabish
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clouds] fwd: tentative agenda for Clouds bar BoF during IETF-78
inMaastricht

Dear All,

 

Best Regards.
 
Bhumip