Subject: Re: [clouds] Thoughts on ClooudOPS

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:55:35 -0500

Hi Bhumip,

  Thanks for the well-organized conference call that was nearly 90 minutes
today.  It was very helpful and very structured and focused to the
recommended goals and objectives. 

  I also agree with key discussion points and topics.  I support the
advancedment in this new working group of the Service Management for
Virtualized Cloud as well.

   Carl

Original Message:
-----------------
From: So, Ning [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:48:06 +0000
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clouds] Thoughts on ClooudOPS

Bhumip and all,

As discussed in this morning's call, here are my personal views on the
proposed CloudOPS WG and the related drafts.

Frameworks, high-level requirements, and best practices descriptions on
cloud infrastructure that impact multiple IETF protocols under different
areas and WGs, and/or protocols outside of IETF, belong to the CloudOPS
WG.   New protocols that impact multiple IETF protocols under different
areas and WGs, and/or protocols outside of IETF, also belong to the
CloudOPS WG.

ARMD WG's work is very focused and much needed, and I voiced my support
for its establishment.    However, I see difficulties in broadening its
charter to make it a single and only default CloudOPS WG.  All the
non-ARMD related drafts will become distraction and cause confusion.

In my humble opinion, the following drafts belong to the CloudOPS WG.
Many of them were presented at Cloud BoF in IETF79, and are in the
process of getting updated for IETF80.  Several are new submissions that
are recently uploaded.  I think what we have here is more than one and
half hours of meeting time :-)  I really do not want to inflict the pain
on my ARMD friends.  

1.	Cloud Reference Framework
2.	Cloud Security Framework 
3.	VPN Extension for Cloud Services 
4.	Network Abstraction for Enterprise and SP Class Cloud 
5.	Protocol Considerations for Workload Mobility in Clouds 
6.	Service Management for Virtualized Cloud 
7.	Virtual Network Management Information Model
8.	Network Probability Requirements and Models
9.	Syslog Extension for Cloud Using Syslog Structured Data
10.	Virtual Resource Management (VRM) in Clouds

Best regards,

Ning So

Network Evolution Planning

Verizon, Inc.

(office) 972-729-7905

(Cell) 972-955-0914

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Bhumip Khasnabish
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [clouds] Conf call on Friday [11-February-2011] at 10 AM US/NY
time

Please plan to join a conf call on 
Friday, 11-Feb.-2011 starting from 10 AM ET (New York, USA time)

to get updates on the Clouds initiatives/activities.

[you may find the current NY/USA time (from your location) at the
following URL:
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-NY.aspx ]. 

Dial in number: US Toll-free +1-866-710-5490 
If the toll-free number does not work, pls use +001-203-875-8973 
Passcode: 204 1744

(Thanks to Mr. Ning So for providing the conf bridge).

Proposed Agenda:

1.	VEPC draft update -- Ning et al
2.	CloudLog draft update -- Gene and Sam
3.	Data Center Operations (DCOPS) proposal update -- Ross (with
info from Ron, if any)
4.	draft-rfc-seamless-Cloud-masum-01.txt
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/attachment/wiki/Clouds/draft-r
fc-seamless-Cloud-masum-01.txt>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/Clouds/dra
ft-rfc-seamless-Cloud-masum-01.txt> (27.1 KB) - Masum et al, Network
Abstraction for Enterprise and SP class Cloud: Seamless Cloud
Abstraction and Interfaces 
5.	Protocol Considerations for Workload Mobility in Clouds.txt
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/attachment/wiki/Clouds/Protoco
l%20Considerations%20for%20Workload%20Mobility%20in%20Clouds.txt>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/Clouds/Pro
tocol%20Considerations%20for%20Workload%20Mobility%20in%20Clouds.txt>
(21.5 KB) - Masum et al, Protocol Considerations for Workload Mobility
in Clouds 
6.	Karavettil-et-al-IETF-Cloud-Security-Framework-11Feb2011_v2.pdf
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/attachment/wiki/Clouds/Karavet
til-et-al-IETF-Cloud-Security-Framework-11Feb2011_v2.pdf>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/Clouds/Kar
avettil-et-al-IETF-Cloud-Security-Framework-11Feb2011_v2.pdf> (0.6 MB) -
Suren et al, updated cloud security framework (CSF) slides 
7.	draft-yokota-cloud-service-mobility-01.txt
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/attachment/wiki/Clouds/draft-y
okota-cloud-service-mobility-01.txt>
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/Clouds/dra
ft-yokota-cloud-service-mobility-01.txt> (42.0 KB) - Mr. Yokota et al,
Service Management for Virtualized Networks 
8.	Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Requirements and Survey
update - Mr. Wang and Mr. Ma
9.	Cloud (client and network sides) APIs update - Sam 
10.	VRM update -- Mr Chu et al 
11.	VDI proposal expectations (further guidance) -- Peter
Saint-Andre
12.	VDI proposal development --  TBD 
13.	Any other topics?

As always, all of the drafts and presentations are available at the
following URL: http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/Clouds

Next conf call will be held on 

Friday-18-February-2011 starting from 10 AM ET (New York, USA time).

Many Thanks for Participation and Contributions.

Best Regards.

Bhumip Khasnabish (Mobile:+001-781-752-8003, vumip1 at gmail.com
<mailto:vumip1%20at%20gmail.com> )
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bhumipkhasnabish

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web.com - Microsoft® Exchange solutions from a leading provider -
http://link.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange