Subject: [codec] Codec testing and the IETF process

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:16:44 -0400

[as chair]

One of the questions raised by Stephan in his mail to the list:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/codec/current/msg01784.html

Raises a really important process question - is the issuance of the 
codec RFC gated on completion of one or more characterization tests, and 
do those test results themselves need to be included in a separate 
informational document which is issued alongside the actual codec 
specification.

 From an IETF perspective, this is certainly NOT a requirement. In 
general, the IETF does not require formal testing of interoperability or 
specification correctness prior to issuance of a proposed standard RFC. 
Indeed, such testing is normally done at draft standards stage. As such, 
IETF rules certainly allow us to request publication of the codec 
specification without a single test having been done.

As a working group, we are in a position to decide whether we do want 
more prior to asking IESG to approve the specification. Our consensus on 
this should also be documented in the guidelines spec once we achieve it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   SkypeID: jdrosen
Chief Technology Strategist                    Mobile: +1 (732) 766-2496
Skype                                          SkypeIn: +1 (408) 465-0361
[email-masked]                              http://www.skype.com
[email-masked]                            http://www.jdrosen.net