Subject: [codesprints] Documents deps

From: Aaron Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:54:58 -0700

To add a dependencies tab to the document information page, should the
tool at http://www.fenron.net/~fenner/ietf/deps/index.cgi be
considered the current definitive tool? If so, could Bill post the
source to that tool?

Thanks!
Aaron

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:00:55 +0000

> considered the current definitive tool? If so, could Bill post the

There's a whole system behind that, which runs on a database that is
not the IETF database.  It's been on autopilot so long that I honestly
don't remember how it works.  I'd be happy to share the code, except
that means I have to find it :-)

  Bill

---

From: Aaron Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:13:03 -0700

> that means I have to find it :-)

Sounds like a larger project than can be tackled at 5pm at the code
sprint, especially so casually mentioned on the
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/EnhancementIdeas page...

Is this a system that ought to be rebuilt in the ietfdb project?

Aaron

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:36:35 +0000

> Is this a system that ought to be rebuilt in the ietfdb project?

Seems like a completely reasonable plan to me.  It's a collection of
tiny little bits - a 30 line perl script that grunges through
documents looking for things that look like references to other
documents; a 120-line perl script that runs the grunger on all I-Ds
and RFCs; a 51 line shell script (with a 20 lines of SQL in the middle
of it!) that creates the graphviz output; a 220-line cgi to produce
the UI.

Each bit is probably fairly easy to replicate in the context of
ietfdb, but it is a sizable collection of bits.

  Bill