Subject: [codesprints] Search URL added to IESG Datatracker

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:42:59 -0400

AMS has set up a tool to search the IETF mail list, the announce mail
list, and the IESG mail list for messages with a particular draft name
in the subject name.  This will be a big help when looking for Last Call
comments.

An ARO account is being set up for each AD to use the tool.  Accounts
are needed to keep the IESG mail list messages private.

Please add a button or tab or some other appropriate widget to the
Datatracker to make it easy for the AD to find these messages.  This
must only be available to Datatracker users with the AD role.

Here is the URL for the search:

   https://www.iesg.org/bin/c5i?mid=6&rid=77&target=draft-name

Thanks,
  Russ

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:53:28 +0200

On 11.10.2010 18:42, Russ Housley wrote:
> ...

It would be cool if the same information, minus the view into the IESG 
mailing list, would be available to the public.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Glen Barney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:02:26 -0700

Julian -

Your wish is granted.  :-)

Enter this way for the authenticated 3-list search, as before:

Enter THIS way for the unauthenticated 2-list search:

https://www.iesg.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=77&target=draft-name

The difference is the "bin" vs. "ibin".

Enjoy!

Glen

On 10/11/2010 9:53 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> codesprints mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codesprints
>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:22:41 +0200

> Your wish is granted.  :-)

Thanks a lot!

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:18:46 -0400

Very cool.

Is there a way this same approach could be used to search just a specific WG list?

I'd love to add a link in the table of drafts on the WG page to search for threads on the draft.

(I'm ok to add the wg web part at the next sprint if I know what command to use...)

Regards

Peter Musgrave 

Sent from my iPad

---

From: Glen Barney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:44:26 -0700

On 10/12/2010 3:18 AM, Peter Musgrave wrote:
> Very cool. Is there a way this same approach could be used to search 
> just a specific WG list? I'd love to add a link in the table of 
> drafts on the WG page to search for threads on the draft. (I'm ok to
> add the wg web part at the next sprint if I know what command to
> use...)

Perhaps.  We wrote this functionality into our ARO system because it can
do full text relevance searches across multiple lists.  We could
certainly do that for a single list, but it would mean having ARO
archive and index all of the lists on the system - which seems horribly
redundant to me, but which I'm happy to try to do.

Thoughts, anyone?

Glen

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:23:40 -0400

This is something that deserves a lot of discussion first.  I am aware
of discussions about other alternatives.

Russ

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:30:47 -0400

Agreed. I did not realize that it involved a big component of backend
indexing....but that is not surprising given that the base web access
to the mailing list lacks a search.

First and foremost searchable mail lists would be useful.

Thanks,

Peter

---

From: "Glen Barney (AMS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:37:06 -0700

> of discussions about other alternatives.

Discuss away!  I'll be here if needed!  :-)

Glen

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:50:49 -0400

Hi Peter,
   Have you tried out this search engine for searching IETF mailing 
lists. It is not an official search engine but it gives me pretty good 
results.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=006728497408158459967%3Aybxjdw-bjjw

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:12:41 -0400

Cool site - I was hopeful....

Then I searched on draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement

and got two irrelevant hits.

(A web search reveals a lot more - but it's cluttered up with agenda
hits and WG pages etc.)

Peter

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Suresh Krishnan
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>  Have you tried out this search engine for searching IETF mailing lists. It
> is not an official search engine but it gives me pretty good results.
>

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:11:38 +0200

Hi Peter,

At the top of the sipclf status page on tools.ietf.org, there's a search
box for the sip-clf mailing list, which uses google to provide the search
result.  I just tried a search for "draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement"
there, and got what seems to be relevant results.

I note, though, that the results would have been better if the draft name
had been quoted, but I can't add quotes routinely around the search term
as that would be less good in other situations.  Maybe I should add a
mailing list search link for each draft specifically on the status display?

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:24:33 -0400

Excellent. That's useful - and I never noticed it before.

How do people feel about adding some kind of search icon as a column
in the active drafts table on the WG page?

It would launch the same search that Henrick describes below.

(I was also planning on adding a column for an ipr link - which is
greyed out if there are no ipr statements for the draft/RFC).

Opinions?

Peter Musgrave

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:25:34 +0200

Hi Peter,

> greyed out if there are no ipr statements for the draft/RFC).

Sounds like the datatracker WG pages will soon be catching up with the
tools pages :-)

I've added a spyglass next to the draft name on the WG status page on
tools.ietf.org, linked to a google search for that particular draft on
the WG mailing list.

Best,

	Henrik