Subject: [codesprints] Would a specific codesprint time be useful before IETF 111

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:33:45 -0500

The response to the doodle at 
https://doodle.com/poll/4mitmqfqa5w5f88r?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

was small, and was from the set of usual participants who could probably 
make progress even without a dedicated call.

Offline I had a regular participant suggest that maybe the interest in 
virtual codesprints just isn't that high.

So I have two questions:

1) Is it worth setting time aside for the regular small group of people, 
or should we shift to a model for those folks to just pick up tickets 
when they can give us a block of time?

2) Would interest be different if we changed the virtual format on some 
axis. Is there something completely different we should be trying?

RjS

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 15:43:52 -0400

If I do not set aside a block of time, then I probably will not start a new project.  Often, for me, the project takes more than the block, but without that incentive I would spend my time on other things.

Russ

> On May 11, 2021, at 3:33 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The response to the doodle at https://doodle.com/poll/4mitmqfqa5w5f88r?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link
> 
> was small, and was from the set of usual participants who could probably make progress even without a dedicated call.
> 
> Offline I had a regular participant suggest that maybe the interest in virtual codesprints just isn't that high.
> 
> So I have two questions:
> 
> 1) Is it worth setting time aside for the regular small group of people, or should we shift to a model for those folks to just pick up tickets when they can give us a block of time?
> 
> 2) Would interest be different if we changed the virtual format on some axis. Is there something completely different we should be trying?
> 
> RjS
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> codesprints mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codesprints

---

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 12:53:38 -0700

I have to agree with Russ on this. It's really helpful to have a fixed block
of time to kick off something. That and the ticket suggestion and hint on
getting started are often all I need to run with it.

		-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: codesprints [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Russ
Housley
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 12:44 PM
To: Robert Sparks
Cc: IETF Codesprints
Subject: Re: [codesprints] Would a specific codesprint time be useful before
IETF 111

If I do not set aside a block of time, then I probably will not start a new
project.  Often, for me, the project takes more than the block, but without
that incentive I would spend my time on other things.

Russ

> 1) Is it worth setting time aside for the regular small group of people,
or should we shift to a model for those folks to just pick up tickets when
they can give us a block of time?

---

From: Ryan Cross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:19:47 -0700

+1

- Ryan

> On May 11, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Peter Yee <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 16:37:20 -0500

So, our best day for this month was tomorrow, which really isn't the 
best notice. The second best was Friday - would you like me to proceed 
with setting something up then?

The dates we tried in June were not good for most - I can try doodling 
some other June weeks if you prefer.

RjS

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 17:50:19 -0400

I think a new doodle would be better.

Russ

> On May 11, 2021, at 5:37 PM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> So, our best day for this month was tomorrow, which really isn't the best notice. The second best was Friday - would you like me to proceed with setting something up then?
> 
> The dates we tried in June were not good for most - I can try doodling some other June weeks if you prefer.
> 
> RjS
>

---

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:58:25 -0700

I'm going to have to agree with Russ again. This week is out for me (as
reflected in the original Doodle). 

		-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 2:50 PM
To: Robert Sparks
Cc: Ryan Cross; Peter Yee; IETF Codesprints
Subject: Re: [codesprints] Would a specific codesprint time be useful before
IETF 111

Russ

> So, our best day for this month was tomorrow, which really isn't the best
notice. The second best was Friday - would you like me to proceed with
setting something up then?
>>> or should we shift to a model for those folks to just pick up tickets
when

---

From: "Jim Fenton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 22:28:08 -0700

Other weeks in June would be better for me. We’re going to Yosemite 
that week.

I think the virtual code sprints are somewhat effective, but not as much 
as in person. I only manage to accomplish a small fix or something 
before work or distractions intervene. I sometimes wonder if that little 
bit outweighs the amount of support I need (getting questions answered, 
etc.). No need to answer that.

-Jim