Subject: [core] coap #109 (new): Clarify diagnostic messages

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 23:09:15 -0000

#109: Clarify diagnostic messages

 It should be clarified that the human-readable diagnostic message in a
 4.xx/5.xx response is intended as diagnostic information: not for real
 humans (who would need language tags), but for software engineers (who
 need to speak the language of the RFC anyway).
 Like what you would put on an HTTP status line.

 From [http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg01461.html
 Peter Saint-Andre's review]:

 Section 5.5 states:

    A response with a code indicating a Client or Server Error SHOULD
    include a brief human-readable diagnostic message as payload,
    explaining the error situation.  This diagnostic message MUST be
    encoded using UTF-8 [RFC3629], more specifically using Net-Unicode
    form [RFC5198].  The Content-Type Option has no meaning and SHOULD
    NOT be included.

 Human-readable to whom? Do we need language tags? Typically anything
 that's human-readable needs to identify the language.

-- 
----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hartke@…        |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor           |   Milestone:     
Component:  coap            |     Version:     
 Severity:  -               |    Keywords:     
----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/109>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>