Subject: [core] #154: Separate coaps:// schema and port for DTLS

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 12:53:53 -0000

#154: Separate coaps:// schema and port for DTLS

 In Prague the WG decided to make a strong binding between != NoSec
 security modes and DTLS, as seen in coap-06.

 There has been WG interest in a separate "Secure CoAP" scheme and port for
 use with DTLS instead of multiplexing on the same port. The Prague change
 makes this more practical. This ticket proposes the following changes:

 * Separate ports for CoAP (NoSec mode) and DTLS/CoAP (Anything != NoSec
 mode)
 * A separate coaps:// scheme to indicate DTLS/CoAP
 * Removal of Section 7.3 "Multiplexing DTLS and CoAP"
 * Add a URI scheme and port registration for coaps://
 * Discuss how to make use of SharedKey, MultiKey and Certificate modes
 with DTLS using a single coaps:// scheme in Section 10.

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…                |       Owner:  zach@…            
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor                 |   Milestone:                    
Component:  coap                  |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                     |    Keywords:                    
----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/154>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>