Subject: [core] FW: New Version Notification for draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt

From: "Stok, Peter van der" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:38:10 +0200

Dear all,

A new version of I-D, draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt has been successfully submitted by Peter van der Stok and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-vanderstok-core-bc
Revision:        04
Title:           CoAP Utilization for Building Control
Creation date:   2011-07-11
WG ID:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 34

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vanderstok-core-bc

Abstract:
   This draft describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
   building automation and control (BAC) applications such as HVAC and
   lighting.  A few basic design assumptions are stated first, then URI
   structure is utilized to define group as well as unicast scope for
   RESTful operations.

   The authority portion of the URI is used to identify a device (group)
   and the resulting DNS name is bound to a unicast (multicast) address.
   Naming is building or organization dependent, must be flexible, and
   does not require standardization efforts but SHOULD conform to some
   uniform convention.

   It is shown that DNS-based service discovery can be used to locate
   URIs on the scale necessary in large commercial BAC deployments.
   Finally, a method is proposed for mapping URIs onto legacy BAC
   resources, e.g., to facilitate application-layer gateways.

   This proposal supports the view that 1) service discovery is
   complementary to resource discovery and facilitates control network
   scaling, and 2) building control is likely to move in steps toward
   all-IP control networks based on the legacy efforts provided by DALI,
   LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,

Additions From bc-03 to bc-04

   - moved core link extension sub-section to resource directory draft

   - extended use of service type

   - gave DNS record examples and worked out multifunction device

   - added proxy discovery and legacy gateway discovery

   - defined path tree and corresponding schema

   - reviewed definition of server, service, device, service attribute,
   and resource

The IETF Secretariat

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

---

From: Kerry Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:48:05 -0400

Very small comments (can fix them next time, or not):

>>Should be discovery mapping draft

>>Taking the container view of the world, the progression is:
site, zone, group, device, server, service (interface), resource, attribute

Regards, -K-

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Stok, Peter van der <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A new version of I-D, draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt has been successfully
> submitted by Peter van der Stok and posted to the IETF repository.
>
> The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally
> protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the
> addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
> that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is
> strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies
> of the original message.
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core
>