Subject: [core] #182: Piggy-backing note

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:01:42 -0000

#182: Piggy-backing note

 It was brought up in the IETF82 CoAP presentation, that imlpementation
 issues have been noticed where piggy-backing should have been used to
 avoid inefficient use of messages. This ticket is to propose some text to
 provide quality of implementation advice on when to piggy-back responses.

 Carsten provided the following text:

 "Implementation note:  The _protocol_ leaves the decision whether to
 piggy-back a response or not (i.e., send a separate response) to the
 server.  The client MUST be prepared to receive either.  On the _quality
 of implementation_ level, there is a strong expectation that servers will
 implement code to piggy-back whenever possible -- saving resources in the
 network and both at the client and at the server."

 Which could be placed at the end of Section 5.2.1.

-- 
-----------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…     |      Owner:  zach@…
     Type:  editorial  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  trivial    |  Milestone:
Component:  coap       |    Version:
 Severity:  -          |   Keywords:
-----------------------+--------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/182>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>