Subject: [core] Proxy Media Type Conversion/Encoding

From: Guido Moritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:01:12 +0100

Dear WG,

last year just before Christmas I started a small discussion about the
conversion of the media type in the proxy (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg02493.html ). 

Now I have tried to put my thoughts together and have written them down in
an I-D. The text is far away from a comprehensive specification. But the WG
may use it as the basis for a further discussion if the described mechanism
is useful and/or required and how it might be realized.

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-moritz-core-proxy-encode-00.txt

Abstract:
   The scope of this document is to propose a new option to be used in
   conjunction with the CoAP proxy mechanisms.  Several content types
   can be converted stateless into each other.  The conversion may
   result in much more efficient representation of the resource.  But
   currently no mechanism exists to indicate the proxy to perform the
   compression.

Feel free to give feedback!

Regards,
Guido

---

From: Thomas Fossati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:33:28 +0100

Hi Guido, thanks for the draft.

> Feel free to give feedback!

Just a tiny note: Pragma is deprecated in HTTPbis (see draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache for details) which is going to WGLC quite soon.  I think that it's wiser not to encourage its use.

---

From: Guido Moritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:10:34 +0100

Thanks for the hint. Indeed, I did not hat a closer look on HTTPbis, but was
more focusing on describing the general issue. 

Guido

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Thomas Fossati [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. Januar 2012 22:33
> An: Guido Moritz
> Cc: 'core'
> Betreff: Re: [core] Proxy Media Type Conversion/Encoding
> 
> Just a tiny note: Pragma is deprecated in HTTPbis (see
draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-
> cache for details) which is going to WGLC quite soon.  I think that it's
wiser not
> to encourage its use.=