Subject: [core] #184: Add implementation note to 3.5 about careless GETs

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:15:57 -0000

#184: Add implementation note to 3.5 about careless GETs

 When an implementation is careless, it might tear down an observation
 relationship carelessly by carelessly sending a GET without Observe on the
 same transport address on which it has the observation relationship.  This
 does not occur in client that implement caching with complete mediation,
 as any industrial-strength implementation is likely to do.  It might occur
 in more careless environments, such as shell scripts.

 So maybe we should add some editorial explanation that clients that (1)
 want to keep up observation relationships and (2) still send GETs
 carelessly to the same resource for implementation expediency should (3)
 not do the latter from the same source address/port their observation
 relationships run on.

 While it could be argued the same kind of implementation note would need
 to be added about other state attached to a transport address pair, such
 as MID or Token use, these can be partitioned off in a more obvious way
 (e.g., use odd MIDs and Tokens for careless requests).

-- 
--------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…              |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-observe@…
     Type:  editorial           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor               |  Milestone:
Component:  observe             |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:
--------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/184>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>