Subject: [core] #211: Signal provisional responses (atomic Block1) in the response code

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:16:04 -0000

#211: Signal provisional responses (atomic Block1) in the response code

 Esko Dijk and Klaus Hartke point out that the 2.01/2.04 responses that are
 foreseen for provisional responses to atomic blockwise request body
 transfers (Block1) are misleading.

 Section 2.1 currently proposes signaling the fact that a response to a
 single block is only provisional and the whole body will be reassembled
 before the method is actually performed, using the M bit in the response;
 the response code is more or less invalidated as provisional when the M
 bit is set in a Block1 option in the response.

 Klaus Hartke proposes to introduce a provisional response code similar to
 100 continue in HTTP, which is defined as follows:

 - 100 Continue

      The client SHOULD continue with its request.  This
      interim response is used to inform the client that the
      initial part of the request has been received and has
      not yet been rejected by the server.  The client
      SHOULD continue by sending the remainder of the
      request or, if the request has already been completed,
      ignore this response.  The server MUST send a final
      response after the request has been completed.

 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-
 httpbis-p2-semantics-19#section-7.1.1)

 If we pick this up:

 1) Section 5.9 of CoAP-09 currently only defines Success (2.xx), Client
 Error (4.xx), and Server Error (5.xx); the provisional response code could
 be grouped under Success (2.xx) or start a new class (1.xx?).

 2) Once this code is defined, the M bit in the Block1 response option may
 or may not continue to be used in the way block-08 does.

-- 
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-block@…
     Type:  protocol defect  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:
Component:  block            |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/211>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>