Subject: Re: [core] #201: Clarify use of retransmission window for duplicate detection

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:38:34 -0000

#201: Clarify use of retransmission window for duplicate detection

Comment (by cabo@…):

 Angelo Castellani notes:

 What about NON messages? How much time the recipient MUST be prepared
 to receive the same non-confirmable message? (to eliminate duplication
 caused by the network)

 Indeed, duplicate detection is not only for confirmable messages.

 So #201 needs to talk about CON and NON.
 The main point of #201 is that we clarify the text to use the term
 "retransmission window" as much as possible.

 For NON, there is no retransmission, so the window could be smaller than
 for confirmable messages.
 However, for most implementations, it will be easier to simply have a
 single timeout value for both cases.
 This just needs to be large enough, and "retransmission window" will do it
 for NON, too.

-- 
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  editorial        |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |   Milestone:
Component:  coap             |     Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/201#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>