Subject: [core] #206: Clarify that atomic Block1 transfers match per token *and* endpoint

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:31:32 -0000

#206: Clarify that atomic Block1 transfers match per token *and* endpoint

 Anthony Blaire notes:

     at the interop in Paris, we noticed one client implementation using a
 different UDP source port for each request in a blockwise transfer.

     There is no mentions about UDP port numbers in draft-ietf-core-
 block-08.

     While the client port number does not matter most of the time, there
 are possible problems in case of atomic Block1 transfers.

     If two clients running on the same host are updating the same
 resource, then the server cannot distinguish for a certainty between the
 blocks of the two clients.

     I would suggest adding one paragraph to Section 2.2:
     In the blockwise tranfer of a request payload (e.g., a PUT or POST)
 that the server is processing atomically, the client MUST originate every
 request from the same UDP source port. The reassembler MUST compare the
 UDP source port of the request when reassembling the blocks of an atomic
 operation. If atomic processing is not desired, there is no need to
 process the UDP source port.

 Since the UDP port is not the only parameter that could vary (DTLS
 connection or IPv6 source address come to mind), the two paragraphs at the
 end of section 2.2 (page 12) probably should be rephrased to clarify that
 the combination of endpoint and token is what is used to perform the
 matching, with a reference to the matching rules in 5.3 in core-coap.

-- 
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-block@…
     Type:  editorial        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  block            |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/206>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>