Subject: [core] #217: how fast must the observe clock be able to go?

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:50:23 -0000

#217: how fast must the observe clock be able to go?

 Cullen Jennings notes (msg03073g):

 Section 4.4 - I'm confused about the algorithm here. Does this mandate
 that the resource can ever changes more than once per second ? For many
 applications I want way faster updates than this. I don't think this
 works.

 ->

 The client-side algorithm is specified in 3.4.  The current "MUST NOT
 reuse" in 4.4 is very conservative, reflecting a very simple
 implementation strategy.
 We could come up with alternative, more elaborate server-side requirements
 that enable faster updates.
 How fast is fast enough?  How much are we willing to assume about
 reordering and delivery probabilities (distributions, actually)?

-- 
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…                |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-observe@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                 |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  observe               |    Version:  observe-05
 Severity:  In WG Last Call       |   Keywords:
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/217>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>