Subject: [core] #236: Clarify the semantics of the "obs" link target attribute

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 13:11:21 -0000

#236: Clarify the semantics of the "obs" link target attribute

 Klaus Hartke notes (msg03053):

 Section 7

 Do we really need the "obs" link attribute?

 ->

 As the second paragraph of section 7, insert:

 The presence of this attribute can for example be used to indicate,
 via a graphical representation in a user interface, that this resource
 is changing its value and useful for monitoring.

 Note that the presence of this attribute is not a promise that the
 Observe Option can actually be used to perform this observation.  A
 client may need to resort to polling the resource if the Observe
 Option is not returned in the reply to the GET request.

 [This attribute might as well be defined in -core or in -link-format.
 We are keeping it here to keep it simple.  But see also discussion in
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg03166.html]

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-observe@…
     Type:  other technical  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  observe          |    Version:  observe-05
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/236>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>