Subject: [core] #235: Avoid extending the base standard retransmission rules

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 11:48:23 -0000

#235: Avoid extending the base standard retransmission rules

 Carsten Bormann notes:

 Section 4.5

 This paragraph (penultimate in 4.5) appears to be an opaque instruction to
 modify the algorithms in base core-coap:

 The server SHOULD use a number of retransmit attempts (MAX_RETRANSMIT)
 such that removing a client from the list of observers before Max-Age ends
 is avoided.

 This is surprising, because apart from this, -observe seems to be strictly
 in a using relationship to core-coap.

 There may be interactions e.g. with MID lifetime ("retransmission window")
 that need to be carefully considered.

 Also, continuing the BEBO (Binary Exponential Back-off) ad infinitum may
 not be the right approach; a truncated BEBO may be better.

 Finally, this still has the maxage/pledge confusion that is being
 addressed by #204 and msg02898 and msg03073d.

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-observe@…
     Type:  other technical  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  observe          |    Version:  observe-05
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/235>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>