Subject: Re: [core] #195: Create registry for rt= and if= values

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:44:51 -0000

#195: Create registry for rt= and if= values

Changes (by zach@…):

 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 The following text is proposed for the registry definition. I would like
 to propose that expert review is performed on the same link-
 [email-masked] mailing list as is used for the Link Relation registry
 as these are very similar.

 {{{
 7.4.  Registry for Resource Type and Interface Description Values

    This specification establishes two new registries, one for Resource
    Type (rt=) and the other for Interface Description (if=) link target
    attribute values.  This registry is similar to the Link Relation
    Registry defined in [RFC5988].  No initial entries are defined by
    this specification for either registry.

    These registries have the following requirements on values:

    o  Registration values MUST be related to the intended purpose of
       these attributes as described in Section 3.

    o  Registered values MUST conform to the ABNF reg-rel-type definition
       of Section 2, meaning the value MUST start with a lower case
       alphabet character, followed by a sequence of lower case alphabet,
       numeric, "." or "-" characters.  The value MUST NOT contain white
       space.

    o  It is recommended that the period "." character is used for
       dividing name segments, and that the dash "-" character is used
       for making a segment more readable.  Example Interface Description
       values might be "core.batch" and "core.link-batch".

    o  URIs are reserved for free use as extension values for these
       attributes, and MUST NOT be registered.

    Values starting with the characters "core" are reserved, and can only
    be requested for registration when defined in an IETF working group
    document.

    Relation types are registered on the advice of a Designated Expert
    (appointed by the IESG or their delegate), with a Specification
    Required (using terminology from [RFC5226]).

    Registration requests consist of the completed registration template
    below, typically published in an RFC or Open Standard (in the sense
    described by [RFC2026], Section 7).  However, to allow for the
    allocation of values prior to publication, the Designated Expert may
    approve registration once they are satisfied that a specification
    will be published.

    Note that relation types can be registered by third parties, if the
    Designated Expert determines that an unregistered relation type is
    widely deployed and not likely to be registered in a timely manner.

    The registration template for both registries is:

    o  Attribute Value:

    o  Description:

    o  Reference:

    o  Notes: [optional]

    Registration requests should be sent to the (TBD)@ietf.org mailing
    list, marked clearly in the subject line (e.g., "NEW RESOURCE TYPE -
    example" to register an "example" relation type, or "NEW INTERFACE
    DESCRIPTION - example" to register an "example" interface
    description).

    Within at most 14 days of the request, the Designated Expert(s) will
    either approve or deny the registration request, communicating this
    decision to the review list and IANA.  Denials should include an
    explanation and, if applicable, suggestions as to how to make the
    request successful.

    Decisions (or lack thereof) made by the Designated Expert can be
    first appealed to Application Area Directors (contactable using
    [email-masked] email address or directly by looking up their
    email addresses on http://www.iesg.org/ website) and, if the
    appellant is not satisfied with the response, to the full IESG (using
    the [email-masked] mailing list).

    IANA should only accept registry updates from the Designated
    Expert(s), and should direct all requests for registration to the
    review mailing list.
 }}}

-- 
----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…                |       Owner:  zach@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  minor                 |   Milestone:
Component:  link-format           |     Version:
 Severity:  -                     |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                        |
----------------------------------+-----------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/195#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:14:08 -0000

Comment (by zach@…):

 Updated version of the registry with improvements from Barry and Cullen.
 Still open as to what mailing list will be used for registration requests.

 {{{

    This specification establishes two new sub-registries of Link
    Relations (defined in [RFC5988]), one for Resource Type (rt=) Link
    Target Attribute Values and the other for Interface Description (if=)
    Link Target Attribute Values.  No initial entries are defined by this
    specification for either registry.

    For both sub-registries, values starting with the characters "core"
    are registered using the IETF Review registration policy [RFC5226].
    All other values are registered using the Specification Required
    policy, which requires review by a designated expert appointed by the
    IESG or their delegate.

    The designated expert will enforce the following requirements:

    o  Registered values MUST conform to the ABNF reg-rel-type definition
       of Section 2, meaning that the value starts with a lower case
       alphabetic character, followed by a sequence of lower case
       alphabetic, numeric, "." or "-" characters, and contains no white
       space.

    o  It is recommended that the period "." character be used for
       dividing name segments, and that the dash "-" character be used
       for making a segment more readable.  Example Interface Description
       values might be "core.batch" and "core.link-batch".

    Registration requests consist of the completed registration template
    below, with the reference pointing to the required specification.  To
    allow for the allocation of values prior to publication, the
    designated expert may approve registration once they are satisfied
    that a specification will be published.

    The registration template for both sub-registries is:

    o  Attribute Value:

    o  Description:

    o  Reference:

    o  Notes: [optional]

    Registration requests should be sent to the [email-masked]
    mailing list, marked clearly in the subject line (e.g., "NEW RESOURCE
    TYPE - example" to register an "example" relation type, or "NEW
    INTERFACE DESCRIPTION - example" to register an "example" interface
    description).

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/195#comment:2>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 19:56:04 -0000

Changes (by zach@…):

 * status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Finalized in revision -13

-- 
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…                |       Owner:  zach@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                 |   Milestone:
Component:  link-format           |     Version:
 Severity:  -                     |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                        |
----------------------------------+---------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/195#comment:3>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>