Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'CoRE Link Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-link-format-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 06:51:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CoRE Link Format'
  (draft-ietf-core-link-format-14.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-link-format/

Technical Summary

   To enable machine-to-machine communication using 
   REST-style protocols, a standard way to do resource 
   discovery is needed.  The present document defines a 
   link format to enable Web Linking by constrained web 
   servers for describing hosted resources, their attributes 
   and other relationships between links.  A small variation 
   of the HTTP Link Header format defined in RFC5988, the 
   CoRE Link Format is carried as a payload and is assigned 
   an Internet media type.  A well-known URI is defined as a 
   default entry-point for requesting the links to resources
   hosted by a server.

Working Group Summary

   This document represents the consensus of the CoRE WG.
   There were no significant issues of contention regarding this
   specification.  The principal content of the document has
   been technically stable for nearly a year, during which certain 
   fringe cases were identified by reviewers and implementers, 
   and addressed in minor updates to the specification.  A list of
   the issues tracked and closed with regard to this document
   can be found here:

   http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/query?component=link-format

Document Quality

   The document is a product of the CoRE working group and 
   has been reviewed in detail by a number of CoRE working 
   group members, as well as by SecDir, GEN-ART, and 
   AppsDir reviewers.  The specification has been implemented 
   widely in the CoRE community and has been used as a 
   central element of the CoRE informal interoperability testing 
   events.