Subject: Re: [core] #214: Adopt vendor-defined option into core-coap

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:53:58 -0000

#214: Adopt vendor-defined option into core-coap

Comment (by zach@…):

 Consensus from the Vancouver WG meeting was:

 - Adopt the Jump feature from Section 3.2.1 of coap-misc-20
 - Adopt the new IANA policy from Section 3.2.4 however 2048 -> should also
 go through a light designated expert review to make sure the option is
 categorized correctly (critical, elective, safe, cache key)
 - Remove the current Fencepost mechanism from the draft

-- 
----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…                |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                 |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap                  |     Version:  coap-09
 Severity:  In WG Last Call       |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                        |
----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/214#comment:4>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:10:03 -0000

Comment (by zach@…):

 Regarding the new option IANA registry rules, I have worked on adding the
 needed policy discussed in the Vancouver WG meeting. The rules for 0..255
 (IETF Review) and for 2048..65535 (Designated Expert) are clear.

 However, reading RFC5226 further, it may be more appropriate to use a
 Specification Required for the 256..2047 range as Designated Expert was
 already decided for the 2048..65535 range. It might not make sense to have
 Designated Expert for two ranges.

 I propose the following text would be added to coap-12 Section 12.2,
 comments on the use of Specification Required, or on the text itself?

 {{{

    The IANA policy for future additions to this registry is split into
    three tiers as follows.  The range of 0..255 is reserved for options
    defined by the IETF (IETF Review).  The range of 256..2047 is
    reserved for commonly used options with public specifications
    (Specification Required).  The range of 2048..65535 is for all other
    options including private or vendor specific ones, which undergo a
    Designated Expert review to ensure that the option semantics are
    defined correctly.

                 +---------------+------------------------+
                 | Option Number | Policy [RFC5226]       |
                 +---------------+------------------------+
                 |        0..255 | IETF Review            |
                 |     256..2047 | Specification Required |
                 |   2048..65535 | Designated Expert      |
                 +---------------+------------------------+
 }}}

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/214#comment:5>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 08:31:51 -0000

Comment (by zach@…):

 The "Option Jump" feature has now been added, and "Fenceposting" removed
 in coap-12.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/214#comment:5>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:42:04 -0000

Changes (by zach@…):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
----------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…                |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                 |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap                  |     Version:  coap-09
 Severity:  In WG Last Call       |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                        |
----------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/214#comment:6>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>