Subject: [core] Service and Resource Discovery

From: "Berta Carballido" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 12:47:36 +0100

Hello all,

I was reading the main CoAP draft and I noticed that the abstract
mentions that CoAP supports built-in discovery of services and
Resources. Sections 7.1 and 7.2 seem to make a distinction between
service and resource discovery, although the difference between both is
unclear after reading them.

Moreover, in Section 8, both terms seem to refer to the same concept: 

"CoAP endpoints that offer services that they want other endpoints to be
able to find using multicast service discovery, join one or more of the
appropriate all-CoAP-nodes multicast addresses Section 12.8 and listen
on the default CoAP port." 

Is multicast service discovery referring in that phrase to multicast
resource discovery as defined in RFC6690?

In summary, should a distinction be made with CoAP between service
discovery and resource discovery?

Kind Regards,

Berta.