Subject: Re: [core] Upload of Profile Description Format draft

From: Isam Ishaq <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:28:41 +0200

Dear Bert,

Thank you for submitting the profile draft. We have been experimenting 
with the idea of resources profiles for some time and think this idea is 
worth further extension.

One suggestion that we have is related to the interface of the profile. 
In the draft you propose to use a "/p" suffix to contain the profiles of 
the resources on the server. This means that the /p resource should be 
reserved , which can be confusing.

Instead of using the /p suffix we suggest to create one new well-known 
resource on the server for example ".well-known/profile". This avoids 
the need to reserve /p as a resource.
By sending a GET to .well-known/profile a client can get the CoAP 
capabilities of the server (some capabilities are server specific, 
others resource specific). We would like a solution to support both. 
Current draft is only about resource specific capabilities.
To get the profile description of a particular resource on the server 
the coap query-option should be used. For example, the profile 
description of the sensor "coap://www.example.org/s/tmp" should be 
acquired with a GET to: 
"coap://www.example.org/.well-known/profile?path=/s/tmp".
By using the query-option new capabilities are added to the profile. A 
client can for example also do a GET to: 
"coap://www.example.org/.well-known/profile?mt=mt1" in order to get a 
list of all resource that support mt1 as a media type.

Best Regards,,
Jeroen Hoebeke and Isam Ishaq

On 12-Jun-12 3:16 AM, Bert Greevenbosch wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have just uploaded a draft concerning a "Profile Description Format":
>
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-greevenbosch-core-profile-description
>
> The draft proposes a JSON based format to express which capabilities 
> the server supports. Currently the draft proposes signalling for 
> supported options and media types.
>
> The draft is in quite an initial state, but I have already uploaded it 
> to receive comments on the proposal. Section 8 contains a 
> non-exhaustive list of issues that require more attention.
>
> Your comments will be appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bert
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

-- 
Isam Ishaq
Department of Information Technology
Internet Based Communication Networks and Services (IBCN)
Ghent University - IBBT
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 (Bus 201), B-9050 Gent, Belgium
M: +32 484 856 155
T Secr: +32 (0)9 33 14900
F: +32 (0)9 33 14899
E: [email-masked]
W : www.ibcn.intec.UGent.be