Subject: [core] #274: Add section on multicast via Proxy and its limitations

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:54:19 -0000

#274: Add section on multicast via Proxy and its limitations

 Add a section to explain the issues & limitations of doing CoAP multicast
 requests via a CoAP Proxy. Goal is to warn and guide implementers in this
 subject. Also such a section would provide a placeholder/reminder of the
 problems that might be addressed further in the future.

 (Based on IETF 85 CoRE WG meeting discussion on Multicast CoAP requests
 via a Proxy.)

 Discussion summary, for reference
 - aggregation of responses in a proxy is difficult, since it doesn't know
 when to stop aggregating responses.
 - SIP tried to deal with this problem but didn't solve it.
 - There may be an expectancy of CoAP client to get single response back
 from proxy, not multiple. The client in this case may not even know what
 it could expect. It may not even know the Proxy-URI contains a multicast
 target.
 - presented via-proxy use case exposes gap in the core-coap specification
 regarding multicast via proxy. (Note: Expectation is that core-coap won’t
 address it in the first planned RFC release.)

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  task         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  groupcomm    |    Version:
 Severity:  -            |   Keywords:
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/274>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>