Subject: [core] application/senml+json in coap content format

From: chrysn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:06:07 +0100

hello core people,

as of experimenting with coap (especially core-interfaces), i'd like to
transfer sensor data as application/senml+json. however, i didn't find
any attempt to register that mime type at the content-format registry
set up in draft-ietf-core-coap-13 -- even though extensive use thereof
is made in the examples in draft-shelby-core-interfaces-03.

* is there a type in use even though it's not yet published?

* if not, what should i use until one gets allocated?

* which document do i need to watch for a future allocation? (i'd assume
  draft-jennings-senml-10)

* (being new here,) is this list the right place for such questions?

* researching current use, i found a glitch in
  draft-shelby-core-interfaces-03 section 5.8 -- given what the response
  looks like, the answer to the GET request should be typed
  application/link-format. are there better places to report such things
  than here?

best regards
chrysn

-- 
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the
balances are correct.
  -- Princess Irulan, Manual of Muad'Dib

---

From: Klaus Hartke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:55:29 +0200

Hi chrysn,

> * is there a type in use even though it's not yet published?

Not that I'm aware of.

> * if not, what should i use until one gets allocated?

For experimentation, you can use one of the numbers between 65000 and
65535 which have been reserved for this purpose. They must not be used
in operational deployments though.

> * which document do i need to watch for a future allocation? (i'd assume

IANA will maintain a registry of allocated numbers at [1], once
draft-ietf-core-coap becomes an RFC.

> * (being new here,) is this list the right place for such questions?

The core-parameters mailing list [2] doesn't see much traffic yet. So,
for the time being, I'd say yes.

>   application/link-format. are there better places to report such things

You can contact the authors directly at [3]. But if the issue is of
general interest, reporting it to this mailing list is appropriate as
well.

Best regards,
Klaus

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/core-parameters/core-parameters.xml
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core-parameters
[3] mailto:[email-masked]