Subject: [core] #283: Servers vs. Service Discovery

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:07:24 -0000

#283: Servers vs. Service Discovery

 Alexey Melnikov (apps-dir reviewer) notes (msg04193-appsdir-2):

 Section 7.1

 In 7.1: the section title is "Service Discovery", but the section is
 talking about "server discovery". These are used as synonyms, but this
 might be confusing to non native English speakers.

 Carsten replied:

 Well, the usual terminology here *is* confusing.  A CoAP server offers a
 service. It's not that interesting to discover the server alone, you want
 to discover the service on that server. (Actually, the software entity
 that offers the service might offer it in the form of multiple endpoints
 at different port numbers, which are by definition different servers, even
 though we colloquially would rather call it a server with multiple
 endpoints.)

 Let's see if we can untangle the wording a bit here. But I think we want
 to stick with the heading "Service Discovery".

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  editorial    |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:  coap-14
Component:  coap         |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/283>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:13:39 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1292]:

 Fix #283 (clarify the use of the noun "service", in particular for
 section 7.1).

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  editorial    |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
Component:  coap         |     Version:  coap-14
 Severity:  Submitted    |  Resolution:  fixed
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/283#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>