Subject: [core] #318: cert-with-PSK: RSA is out, ECDHE is in

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:09:07 -0000

#318: cert-with-PSK: RSA is out, ECDHE is in

 Stephen Farrell notes (msg04285j):

 Section 9.1.3.3

 9.1.3.3 - throwing in RSA as a SHOULD (albeit within a section that's a
 MAY) is odd - if devices can do RSA then why not have 'em all do it for
 the raw public keys and get the interop gains that will accrue from that.

 Carsten says:

 Well, this is for the (somewhat high-end) case of cert usage.

 WG: Is there a cipher suite that better its the other ones we use? E.g.,
 Why didn't we use TLS_ECDHE_PSK_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA (RFC 5489)? I notice
 that in the transition from -05 to -06, we got rid of
 TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA in favor of
 TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CCM_8, but not of
 TLS_RSA_PSK_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA.  The changes comment is "DTLS cipher
 suites aligned with ZigBee IP, DTLS clarified as default CoAP security
 mechanism (#138, #139)".
 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/139 mentions
 TLS_PSK_WITH_AES_128_CCM_8 and TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CCM_8, but not
 anything about the cert-with-PSK case.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  other        |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
  technical              |    Version:  coap-15
 Priority:  major        |   Keywords:
Component:  coap         |
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/318>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:19:00 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1345]:

 Close #318

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other        |      Status:  closed
  technical              |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  major        |     Version:  coap-15
Component:  coap         |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/318#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>