Subject: [core] #282: Clarify bytes/characters and UTF-8/ASCII in "Decomposing URIs into Options"

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 14:06:43 -0000

#282: Clarify bytes/characters and UTF-8/ASCII in "Decomposing URIs into Options"

 Alexey Melnikov (apps-dir reviewer) notes (msg04193-appsdir-1):

 Section 6.4

 In 6.4: why is URI's default encoding is UTF-8 and not ASCII? URIs can't
 contain 8bit data. Or did you mean IRIs? (Hopefully you haven't!)

 Carsten replied: We certainly didn't mean IRIs.  Specifying UTF-8 and
 ASCII should be equivalent here. (Either way is likely to confuse a
 different part of the audience.)

 In 6.4: 8/9 - it would be correct to say octet instead of "character" when
 discussing %-decoding. Unicode characters can be represented as multiple
 octets in UTF-8, each octet would be %-encoded separately.

 Carsten replied: Indeed, each byte is percent-encoded separately, and
 decoding each percent-triple generates a single byte, the sequences of
 which are then decoded as UTF-8 characters.

 We'll try to find better wording for these two items.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  editorial    |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:  coap-14
Component:  coap         |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/282>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:03:34 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1291]:

 Fix #282

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  editorial    |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
Component:  coap         |     Version:  coap-14
 Severity:  Submitted    |  Resolution:  fixed
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/282#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>