Subject: [core] #288: Make reference to PROBING_RATE explicit

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:16:09 -0000

#288: Make reference to PROBING_RATE explicit

 Michael Scharf (tsv-dir reviewer) notes (msg04191-tsvdir-1):

 Section 4.3

 * Section 4.3

 »At the CoAP level, there is no way for the sender to detect if a Non-
 confirmable message was received or not.  A sender MAY choose to transmit
 multiple copies of a Non-confirmable message within MAX_TRANSMIT_SPAN, or
 the network may duplicate the message in transit.«

 => This section lacks any guidance on how frequently non-confirmable
 messages may be sent. Section 4.7 mandates a maximum PROBING_RATE for
 congestion control. With the default parameters, MAX_TRANSMIT_SPAN is 45s,
 and PROBING_RATE is 1 Byte/second, i. e., for messages larger than 45
 Byte, the limit for multiple copies is given by MESSAGE_SIZE/PROBING_RATE,
 not by MAX_TRANSMIT_SPAN.

 Carsten Bormann plans to reply:

 Indeed, a reference to 4.7 wouldn't hurt here.  (Sending multiple copies
 that are spaced more than MAX_TRANSMIT_SPAN may defeat the duplicate
 detection.  Messages that benefit from saturation are often short
 discovery requests, so extremely very low value we chose for PROBING_RATE
 may not hurt in practice.)

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  editorial    |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:  coap-14
Component:  coap         |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/288>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:34:55 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1285]:

 Fix #288

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  editorial    |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
Component:  coap         |     Version:  coap-14
 Severity:  Submitted    |  Resolution:  fixed
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/288#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>