Subject: [core] Joel Jaeggli's No Objection on draft-ietf-core-coap-15: (with COMMENT)

From: "Joel Jaeggli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 22:46:11 -0700

Joel Jaeggli has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-core-coap-15: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support some of the points raised by mehmet against draft 13 (addressed
by carsten) which ultimately are not likely to be resolved by the this
draft alone.

> ** Concerning the migration path, and future versions of CoAP in the
same network:
>
> - It would be useful to state clearly, in which cases it is dangerous
to change any of the recommended default values or parameters in future
versions of CoAP and would potentially impact the co-existence of two
CoAP versions. Thus such a statement would support an incremental
deployment to be successful.

Again, I believe this is future work, which also applies for the
configuration and management data model.

Protocol debugging is aided by the self-describing nature of the protocol
messages.
This has worked pretty well in the (informal and formal) interops so
far.

Future work will have to address management interfaces for CoAP nodes,
including management of security related events.
I think some of this will have to integrate with resource discovery, an
active subject in the working group.

Grüße, Carsten

---

this is not a dicuss because frankly I think at some point you have to
draw a line under work that has been done so far and progress work from
there.