Subject: [core] #305: Don't use decimal response codes, keep the 3+5 structure throughout

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:22:34 -0000

#305: Don't use decimal response codes, keep the 3+5 structure throughout

 Pete Resnick notes (msg04271e):

 Section 3

 Code:  8-bit unsigned integer.  Indicates if the message carries a request
 (1-31) or a response (64-191), or is empty (0).

 As above, why not make a 3-bit field for Code Type (000=request,
 001=reserved, 010=success response, 100=client error response, 101 =server
 error response, 110/111=reserved), and then a 6-bit Code? It would also
 make the registry much easier to read.

 Carsten says:

 This requires some surgery but is probably a good idea.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  editorial    |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:  coap-15
Component:  coap         |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/305>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>