Subject: [core] #291: 8 kbit/s is not "conservative"

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:24:21 -0000

#291: 8 kbit/s is not "conservative"

 Michael Scharf (tsv-dir reviewer) notes (msg04191-tsvdir-3):

 Section 8.2

 * Section 8.2

 »E.g., for a multicast request with link-local scope on an 2.4 GHz IEEE
 802.15.4 (6LoWPAN) network, G could be (relatively conservatively) set to
 100, S to 100 bytes, and the target rate to a conservative 8 kbit/s = 1
 kB/s.  The resulting lower bound for the Leisure is 10 seconds.«

 => While I like the idea of randomizing the response time to avoid in-cast
 problems, according to Section 4.8, a conservative assumption about the
 allowed data rate in a potentially congested network is PROBING_RATE = 1
 Byte/second. 1 kB/s might be realistic in a specific application scenario
 if the network does not have any other traffic, but the attribute
 "conservative" should not be used here, because reality with cross-traffic
 could be entirely different.

 Carsten Bormann plans to reply:

 Indeed.   We should strike "conservative".

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  editorial    |  Milestone:  post-IESG-1
 Priority:  minor        |    Version:  coap-14
Component:  coap         |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Submitted    |
  WG Document            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/291>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:45:09 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1288]:

 Fix #291

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  editorial    |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor        |   Milestone:  post-IESG-1
Component:  coap         |     Version:  coap-14
 Severity:  Submitted    |  Resolution:  fixed
  WG Document            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/291#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>