Subject: [core] #365: Add text on media-type conversion by HTTP-CoAP proxy

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 16:00:11 -0000

#365: Add text on media-type conversion by HTTP-CoAP proxy

 From discussion during the IETF88 CoRE meeting (Klaus Hartke);

 The I-D needs to consider that media-type conversion is also needed.
 Conversion between the CoAP Content Format and HTTP media type is needed,
 in both directions. Some text could be added to describe this process and
 possible pitfalls (if any).

 One issue may be application-specific media types: is the HC Proxy
 required to implement *all* media types registered in the CoAP Content
 Format registry? There could be many; some years from now. The HC Proxy
 would have to know all these types to properly map the CoAP Content Format
 number e.g. 1234 into a media type string e.g. "application/coap-
 group+json". Does the HC Proxy need regular updates to keep up with new
 CoAP Content Formats ?

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-http-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  protocol     |     Status:  new
  enhancement            |  Milestone:
 Priority:  major        |    Version:
Component:  http-        |   Keywords:
  mapping                |
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/365>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 08:02:15 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Aspects to be considered include:

 ** Conversion of payload/body data

 1) converting a HTTP request body to an equivalent CoAP payload, so it
 fits a CoAP Content-Format that is available at the HC proxy
    (Any examples?)
 2) converting a CoAP response payload to an equivalent HTTP body;
    e.g. doing Link Format corrections as mentioned in #366.

 ** Conversion of media type indicators

 3) converting the CoAP Content-Format option to the HTTP Content-Type and
 Content-Encoding header fields
    (Straightforward for known Content-Formats. What to do with unknown
 ones?)
 4) converting a HTTP Content-Type/Content-Encoding to a CoAP Content-
 Format that is available;
    e.g. generalizing by converting "application/foo+json" to type 50
 (application/json)

Component:  http-        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/365#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>