Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-etch-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:31:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments of the IETF.

        Title           : Patch and Fetch Methods for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
        Authors         : Peter van der Stok
                          Carsten Bormann
                          Anuj Sehgal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-etch-01.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2016-06-23

Abstract:
   The existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) methods only
   allow access to a complete resource.  This does not permit
   applications to access parts of a resource.  In case of resources
   with larger or complex data, or in situations where a resource
   continuity is required, replacing or requesting the whole resource is
   undesirable.  Several applications using CoAP will need to perform
   partial resource accesses.

   Similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
   GET method only allows the specification of a URI and request
   parameters in CoAP options, not the transfer of a request payload
   detailing the request.  This leads to some applications to using POST
   where actually a cacheable, idempotent, safe request is desired.

   Again similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol
   (CoAP) PUT method only allows to replace a complete resource.  This
   also leads applications to use POST where actually a cacheable,
   possibly idempotent request is desired.

   This specification adds new CoAP methods, FETCH, to perform the
   equivalent of a GET with a request body; and the twin methods PATCH
   and iPATCH, to modify parts of an existing CoAP resource.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-etch/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-etch-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-etch-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 00:38:45 +0200

This small update should cover #411 (which will now be closed unless we
need more work on that example).

It also covers an internal todo; in particular the text about ETags in
FETCH is new.

As usual, please see:

and (for the most readable HTML version)

https://core-wg.github.io/etch/

The authors believe we are now very close to being ready for WGLC, so a
quick read and some feedback on this belief would be appreciated.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Jaime Jiménez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:09:28 +0000

Hi Carsten,

The new example provided #411 is quite enough for me, so I'll close my ticket. 

To me it is ready for WGLC, let’s wait few days for feedback before that. 

Ciao!
- - Jaime Jimenez

> On 24 Jun 2016, at 01:38, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

---

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 14:51:55 +0200

Dear Sir

I would like a short slot on Tuesday july 19 during the core session in
order to present the draft

draft-urien-core-identity-module-coap-00.txt

which is an experimental proposal for identity modules based on Secure
Elements, whose expected benefits are the following:

- Processing of DTLS/TLS stacks needed by CoAP by tamper resistant chips
- Secure storage of pre-share keys or private keys
- Trusted simple or mutual authentication between CoAP devices and CoAP
clients.
- The device identity is enforced by a non cloneable chip.
- Trusted cryptographic support.
- Low power consumption

Best regards

Pascal Urien