Subject: [core] draft-urien-core-identity-module-coap-00

From: Pascal Urien <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:55:30 +0200

The draft

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-urien-core-identity-module-coap-00.txt

is an experimental proposal for open identity modules based on Secure
Elements, whose expected benefits are the following:

- Processing of DTLS/TLS stacks needed by CoAP by tamper resistant chips
- Secure storage of pre-share keys or private keys
- Trusted simple or mutual authentication between CoAP devices and CoAP
clients.
- The device identity is enforced by a non cloneable chip.
- Trusted cryptographic support.
- Low power consumption

Could the IoT security targeting trillion of devices still rely on
passwords and unsecure storage ?

According to [1] and "a short list of requirements includes tamper
resistance and secure communications and storage".

"Security is projected to become an even bigger challenge in the future as
the number of interconnected devices increases... In fact, the Internet of
Things can be viewed as the largest and most poorly defended cyber attack
surface conceived by mankind".

[1]
https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/nano/reports/2015-0901_RITR%20WEB%20version%20FINAL_39p.pdf

Rgs

Pascal Urien