Subject: [core] Signaling messages for CoAP over TCP/TLS/Websockets

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 17:28:13 +0200

Klaus, Matthias and I did a bit of a sprint over the last couple of days
completing the signaling messages proposal that I talked about in Buenos
Aires.  This is supposed to address the following tickets on
CoAP-over-TCP-and-TLS:

#400 (message sizes),
#388 (by providing a foundation for a mechanism for version negotiation,
once that is needed),
#390 (connection close reason),
#391 (server name indication),
#394 (ping/pong).

We are not necessarily saying that we must have all these functions, but
that, if we want to have them, they would work well in the form proposed.

Please have a look at

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-core-coap-sig-01

If you think that a specific function is useful (or should be done in
another way), now would be a good time to hear about that.
The -sig draft should probably live a short life on its own until we are
satisfied with the approach; then we can put the text into the TTW draft.

There are a few more tickets open on CoAP over TCP/TLS/Websockets, most
of which will be resolved by merging the two drafts (TCP/TLS and
Websockets).  The remaining item is BERT, which, if we like it, we could
simply adopt and then integrate into the merged TTW draft:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-core-block-bert-01

Grüße, Carsten