Subject: Re: [core] #387 (coap-tcp-tls): Should ALPN always be required?

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:08:21 -0000

#387: Should ALPN always be required?

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The rough consensus appears that we should always require ALPN.

 However, some TLS implementations do not provide ALPN.  To accommodate
 these, we could make the exception that ALPN="coap" is implied on TLS over
 TCP, port 5684 only.

 (This has no impact on the default port, which stays 443 for
 coaps+tcp://.)

 (Idea: Klaus Hartke)

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other technical          |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  coap-tcp-tls             |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/387#comment:1>
core <https://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 13:29:52 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 The actual question is, will ALPN be implemented once we have a new
 version that must be indicated. If ALPN is not implemented, why should we
 solve cross-protocol attacks for them?

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/387#comment:2>
core <https://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 18:34:26 -0000

One would hope that by the time we need a CoAP v2 (if ever), everybody
 will have ALPN, so no *new* workaround will then  needed.

 There seem to be good arguments to go with the exception for 5684 and
 require ALPN everywhere else.

 This ticket will be closed unless new aspects come up.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/387#comment:3>
core <https://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 19:53:15 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => duplicate

Comment:

 '''TCP/TLS issues have been moved to https://github.com/core-wg/coap-tcp-
 tls/issues'''

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other technical          |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:
Component:  coap-tcp-tls             |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |  Resolution:  duplicate
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/387#comment:4>
core <https://tools.ietf.org/core/>