Subject: [core] SenML nit: data value in CBOR

From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:57:14 +0200

Hello list,

I think that the current SenML draft is missing a note on JSON/CBOR
differences in Data Value: While it is explicitly stated that vd is a
base64 string in JSON and a binary-value in CBOR, the supposedly
exhaustive list of differences in 6. fails to mention that no base64
encoding is done in CBOR. Suggested addition:

o For Data Values, no base64url-encoding is done, as the data can be
  directly expressed as binary-value.

Furthermore, I suggest that "Characters in the Data Value are base64
encoded" be expressed as "Bytes [...]" or "Octets are encoded [...]", to
make the distinction to the character-based strings and binary data
clearer. (The only context in which I'd name bytes of binary data
"Character" are when speaking of a "char" in C).

Best regards
Christian

-- 
Christian Amsüss                      | Energy Harvesting Solutions GmbH
founder, system architect             | headquarter:
mailto:[email-masked]  | Arbeitergasse 15, A-4400 Steyr
tel:+43-664-97-90-6-39                | http://www.energyharvesting.at/
                                      | ATU68476614

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:47:02 +0200

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 2:57 PM, Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello list,
> 
> — 

Seems like a good addition  - thanks for catching this