Subject: [core] Protocol Action: 'Block-wise transfers in CoAP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-core-block-21.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:16:36 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Block-wise transfers in CoAP'
  (draft-ietf-core-block-21.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Constrained RESTful Environments
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-block/

Technical Summary
This specification extends the CoAP protocol (RFC 7252) with a pair of
"Block" options to enable the transport of large payloads through
multiple request-response pairs. In constrained environments, these
blockwise transfers have an advantage over fragmentation at lower layers
(e.g., IP), since the server can be truly stateless with no need for a
connection setup or other server-side memory of previous block
transfers. The specification is intended for standards-track, as it is a
widely implemented extension of a standards-track protocol.

Review and Consensus
The specification was developed along with the base CoAP specification
and received significant review by active WG members and implementers.
Two major discussions were had and resolved while finding consensus.
Several implementations of this final version have completed an
interoperability test event with a very good score. Further implementer
feedback also was positive.

Personnel
Matthias Kovatsch is the document shepherd.
Alexey Melnikov is the responsible Area Director.