Subject: [core] Resource Directory: Simplifying Domains

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:15:19 +0200

In the current resource directory, multiple domains are pretty much
ships in the night to each other; domains "compartmentalize" the RD.
After we had a discussion of RD domains between the authors, I'm no
longer sure we actually need all this mechanism.
Instead, each such compartment/domain could be modeled as a separate
resource directory of its own.
Multiple domains could be offered as multiple resource directories,
e.g. under

    /rd/{domain}

(This does not mean that there need to be multiple copies of RD
software running etc., it just means a resource directory
implementation could offer multiple of the entry points called
"resource directories" under different URIs.)

The remaining questions are

-- how does a client find the resource directory for the domain it
   wants to register under.
-- how does a client list the resource directories and find the
   "domain" for each.

Listing the resource directories could simply be done by offering a
collection interface to them.  The domain property could be converted
into a URI and listed in the resource directory.  Construction of an
RD URI could be via a template as shown above.

Before we further flesh out this design, I'd like to know who has
implemented domains (which are optional in the current RD) and how
much they would be impacted by such a simplification.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: peter van der Stok <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 09:04:28 +0200

Hi Carsten,

my hip gun shot reaction.
The alternative seems more complex to handle than the original from 
application point of view.
In my opinion, the application ease of use takes precedence here.

Peter

Carsten Bormann schreef op 2017-04-20 20:15:
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core