Subject: [core] RFC 8132 on PATCH and FETCH Methods for the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:29:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8132

        Title:      PATCH and FETCH Methods for 
                    the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) 
        Author:     P. van der Stok, 
                    C. Bormann,
                    A. Sehgal
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 42359
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-core-etch-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8132

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8132

The methods defined in RFC 7252 for the Constrained Application
Protocol (CoAP) only allow access to a complete resource, not to
parts of a resource.  In case of resources with larger or complex
data, or in situations where resource continuity is required,
replacing or requesting the whole resource is undesirable.  Several
applications using CoAP need to access parts of the resources.

This specification defines the new CoAP methods, FETCH, PATCH, and
iPATCH, which are used to access and update parts of a resource.

This document is a product of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC