Subject: [core] comments on draft-arkko-core-dev-urn

From: Peter Saint-Andre - Filament <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:49:36 -0600

As noted in a thread on SenML, I'm one of the expert reviewers for URN
namespace registrations. Although this is not an official review, here
are some comments.

First, RFC 2141 and RFC 3406 were recently replaced by RFC 8141. The
registration template has changed, the registration procedure has
changed, everything should be simpler than it used to be, etc. Please
see RFC 8141 for details. Also, the ISBN and ISSN registrations are
great examples of the new template:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-formal/isbn

https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-formal/issn

Second, we might be able to use URN f-components (preceded by "#" as in
other URI schemes) instead of the namespace-specific componentpart
(beginning with ";"). Have a look at Section 2.3.3 of RFC 8141.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://filament.com/

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:20:10 +0200

Peter,

> (beginning with ";"). Have a look at Section 2.3.3 of RFC 8141.

Thanks for this. I will implement these changes in the next revision.

Jari