Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-senml-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 13:09:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments of the IETF.

        Title           : Media Types for Sensor Measurement Lists (SenML)
        Authors         : Cullen Jennings
                          Zach Shelby
                          Jari Arkko
                          Ari Keranen
                          Carsten Bormann
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-senml-10.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2017-07-03

Abstract:
   This specification defines media types for representing simple sensor
   measurements and device parameters in the Sensor Measurement Lists
   (SenML).  Representations are defined in JavaScript Object Notation
   (JSON), Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR), eXtensible
   Markup Language (XML), and Efficient XML Interchange (EXI), which
   share the common SenML data model.  A simple sensor, such as a
   temperature sensor, could use this media type in protocols such as
   HTTP or CoAP to transport the measurements of the sensor or to be
   configured.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-senml/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-senml-10
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-core-senml-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-senml-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:45:55 +0200

Hello CoRE working group,

I've gone through the changes since SenML -07, and the concerns I had
about the handling of names and base names have been resolved.

Personally, I still think that units should be regarded as associated
metadata, but that has been discussed before, and the presence of units
here does not break anything for me.

Nits level remark: There are still some references to "sensml", they were
probably just missed in earlier editing steps.

Thanks for updating this document, I'd advocate it to go through a WGLC.

Best regards
Christian

-- 
To use raw power is to make yourself infinitely vulnerable to greater powers.
  -- Bene Gesserit axiom

---

From: Ari Keränen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:40:02 +0000

Thank you for the review Christian!

Regarding the "sensml" (all lower caps) references, all I found from -10 were references to the XML tag name or filename extension for the streaming version. They seemed correct to me. Was there particular one you think is incorrect?

Cheers,
Ari

> On 15 Jul 2017, at 16.45, Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> core mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core

---

From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:14:51 +0200

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 04:40:02PM +0000, Ari Keränen wrote:
> Regarding the "sensml" (all lower caps) references, all I found from
> -10 were references to the XML tag name or filename extension for the
> streaming version. They seemed correct to me. Was there particular one
> you think is incorrect?

Oh -- I had forgotten about the "SensML" name introduced in earlier
drafts (and didn't read that part again as nothing changed there), and
not implementing the XML side of things didn't think of that application
justifying the lowercase letters.

Sorry for the noise
Christian