Subject: [core] draft-ietf-core-resource-directory - More headaches w/ context

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 21:55:22 -0700

In reading through and working on implementing this draft, I have found what
appears to me to be conflicting language on the context parameter.

Section 5.3.4 indicates that context + target could have collisions and that
this is likely to occur if there are multiple configuration tools.  This
text appears to me to indicate that the context can be different for each
link in a registration resource.  Each update could provide a different
context.  (I will note that the text probably needs to discuss dealing with
both normalization of the context and building the full URI from the context
and target when doing the comparison.  The pairs
<coap://ep.example.com:5683, /foo/bar> and  <coap://ep.example.com/foo,
/bar> should probably compare as identical.

Section 5.4.1 in the third paragraph talks about updating the lifetime and
context in the same paragraph  Since I know that the lifetime is a parameter
of the registration resource, it is reasonable from the context to assume
that the context would also be a parameter of the registration resource
rather than of a link.

In my opinion, these are conflicting concepts of what the meaning of context
is.  Would it be possible to figure out which is supposed to be correct and
both let me know and update the document?

Jim