Subject: [core] Questions/Review on draft-ietf-core-resource-directory-12

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:25:50 -0700

Over all I think that I understand this version better, but there are still
some things that I am going to need to ask questions about or comment on.
Note this is not a pass from writing code, just from trying to do some
design work.

1.  When creating a group registration, can the link to an endpoint be on a
different resource directory?  This second RD could be either on a different
machine or on the same machine (i.e. coap vs coaps).  If the answer is no,
then do we need to think about some type of relation attribute in the case
that multiple are listed somewhere?

2.  Is there supposed to be an update/patch operation on groups or is this a
replace operation ala what is done for endpoints?

3. Are groups supposed to age out of existence?  Based on the current text I
would say that this is a no.

4.  Should have text on what happens to a group when an endpoint which ages
out of existence.

5.  When registering groups, is there a requirement that all of the
endpoints be in the same domain as the group is?

6.  In section 7.3 - First it would be better to be much more explicit on
the set of items to be matched than the one statement that is current
present.  From what is there, it is not clear to me that one would return a
group if one of the resources of an endpoint in the group has the desired
attribute.  However, based on everything else, it would appear to be true.
Thus the search would be to go up the model (Figure 2) to all ancestor notes
and down the tree to all descendent notes.  Is this a correct understanding?

7.  In section 7.3 - If doing a compound search criteria - Does all of the
criteria need to be matched on ANY node in the search or ALL of the criteria
on one node in the search?  Consider "?d=example.com&rt=foobar"  which would
match the 'd' on the endpoint but the 'rt' on a resource.  So two questions
- the first would be looking at two different items at two different levels
(i.e. group and resource), the second would be two items at the same level
(i.e. two different resources/endpoints which are children/grandchildren of
me).

Jim