Subject: [dane] US FCC CSRIC recommends DNSSEC, US ISPs agree to deploy it

From: John Gilmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 01:36:47 -0800

FYI.   --John

http://www.fcc.gov/document/csric-adopts-recs-minimize-three-major-cyber-threats

  Chairman Genachowski applauds voluntary commitments by nation's
  largest Internet Service Providers, including AT&T, CenturyLink,
  Comcast, Cox, Sprint, Time Warner Cable, T-Mobile and Verizon to
  better secure their communications networks and protect consumers and
  business  ...

  ...industry advisory group for the Federal Communications Commission
  (FCC), the Communications, Security, Reliability, and Interoperability
  Council (CSRIC), unanimously adopted recommendations for voluntary
  action by Internet service providers (ISPs) to combat three major
  cyber security threats, including botnets, attacks on the Domain Name
  System (DNS), and Internet route hijacking.  ...

  CSRIC recommended that ISPs implement best practices to better secure
  the Domain Name System. DNS works like a telephone book for the
  Internet, but lack of security for DNS has enabled spoofing, allowing
  Internet criminals to coax credit card numbers and personal data from
  users who do not realize they are on an illegitimate website. DNSSEC
  is a set of secure protocol extensions that prevent such fraudulent
  activity. This recommendation is a significant first step toward full
  DNSSEC implementation by ISPs and will allow users, with software
  applications like browsers, to validate that the destination they are
  trying to reach is authentic and not a spoofed website.  ...

  When fully implemented, these measures will strengthen the security
  of the networks of the ISPs that provide Internet access to over 50
  percent of residential broadband users.  ...

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:29:17 +0100

On Mar 24, 2012, at 10:36 AM, John Gilmore wrote:

>  percent of residential broadband users.  …

In the interests of full disclosure, I was part of this CSRIC WG…

W

> _____________________________________

> __________
> dane mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dane
> 

--
Don't be impressed with unintelligible stuff said condescendingly.
    -- Radia Perlman.