Subject: [dane] FYI: Verisign files patent application for way of transfering hosting on DNSSEC Domains

From: John Gilmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:34:22 -0700

[Sounds like somebody should tell the Patent Office that this
 "invention" is obvious to anyone skilled in the field, before
 those lovely monopolists at Verisign find themselves with yet
 another government-granted monopoly.]

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/10/05/verisign-files-patent-application-for-way-of-transfering-hosting-on-dnssec-domains/

   Verisign files patent application for way of transfering 
   hosting on DNSSEC Domains

Application describes way to change hosting on DNSSEC enabled domains
without any downtime.

Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) bring all sorts of
security benefits, but it can make changing hosting providers more
challenging.

Verisign has filed a patent for systems and methods for making the
process of changing web hosts on a DNSSEC-enabled domain easier.

Here's the challenge, as the company describes in its application
named "Transfer of DNSSEC Domains":

With the introduction of DNSSEC into vast registries, such as the .com
and .net registries, DNS hosting transfer of a DNSSEC enabled domain
brings with it the potential for resolution problems. Such problems
may result in domains not resolving securely, or not resolving at all,
which can have significant detrimental effects on e-commerce and other
high-traffic sites. For DNSSEC, enabled domains, in addition to
managing the switchover of nameservers, the change in registrars
and/or hosts involves managing the Delegation Signer (DS) resource
records in the parent zone and the list of DNSKEY records across the
old and new child zones to ensure that the DNSSEC chain will
continuously validate during the transfer.

And here's the gist of what Verisign wants to patent:

Systems and methods of transferring a DNSSEC enabled domain from a
losing hosting provider to a gaining hosting provider are described in
which the transfer of the domain may be achieved without disruption to
a DNSSEC validation of the domain. Systems and methods, such as those
directed to registry and/or registrar servers, may include
transferring a DNSKEY or Delegation Signer (DS) record from a gaining
hosting provider to a losing hosting provider prior to transferring
the domain from the losing hosting provider to the gaining hosting
provider. A gaining hosting provider may sign DNS records of the
domain with the gaining hosting provider DNSKEY prior to transferring
the domain from the losing hosting provider to the gaining hosting
provider. Additionally, a registry server, or similar device, may be
configured to act as an intermediary between the losing hosting
provider and the gaining hosting provider during the transfer process.

The application was filed April 1, 2011 and just published yesterday.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 18:57:35 -0400 (EDT)

>   hosting on DNSSEC Domains

David,

As one of the contributors to that patent, can you tell us more
about this and any IPR disclosure submited to the IETF and the "Note
Well"?

Paul

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:13:20 -0700

No hats, because I am not a WG chair here, but:

Could this discussion move to a list where it is more appropriate? There is *nothing* about transferring hosting of domains with DNSSEC that is more relevant to the DANE WG than, say, DNSEXT or DNSOP. It is even more relevant on the IETF general mailing than here. If anything useful comes of this thread, it will be missed by some of those who should see it if it is in this WG.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:26:58 -0400

+1 to that

And it is usually a good idea to find out the intent of a patent filer
before sounding of about monopolists and such.

One of the sad facts about our industry is that the patent system is a
prisoner's dilema game with a huge number of prisoners. Not patenting an
idea means someone else will try. Lets get facts before making accusations
on any other lists either.

If the WG has not discussed the practical question of how to transfer
DNSSEC domains from one registrar to another on the DNSEXT list then that
possibly raises the question of whether the spec has been properly vetted.

[I did work for VeriSign in the past but this application was made after my
time there and there have been significant management changes since.]

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Could this discussion move to a list where it is more appropriate? There
> is *nothing* about transferring hosting of domains with DNSSEC that is more
> relevant to the DANE WG than, say, DNSEXT or DNSOP. It is even more
> relevant on the IETF general mailing than here. If anything useful comes of
> this thread, it will be missed by some of those who should see it if it is
> in this WG.
>
> --Paul Hoffman
> _______________________________________________
> dane mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dane
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: bert hubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 08:47:29 +0200

> about this and any IPR disclosure submited to the IETF and the "Note

Also, please be real. David works on technology. No public corporation the US
is ever going to allow an engineer to say anything in response to a question
like this. Please don't make life hard on David.

	bert