Subject: [dane] Comments to the draft-fanf-dane-mua-00 draft

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 03:02:36 +0200

In section "3. Mail server TLSA records", it would be nice to have
example of these records, in the same way where the
draft-fanf-dane-smtp-04 has. It is bit hard to follow what kind of
records there should be just from the text.

Also it would be better to expand the document name from the
reference, i.e. not use references in format of:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
   MUAs SHALL look up the TLSA record(s) for a mail server using its
   host name and port number, as described in section 3 of
   [I-D.ietf-dane-protocol].
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it is still understandable, as the draft name tells what document
it is, but when it changes to [RFC5432] (or whatever the dane protocol
rfc is) the for casual reader it gets very hard to follow, as reader
always needs to jump to the references to see which document this
magic number was again...

Changing that to:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
   MUAs SHALL look up the TLSA record(s) for a mail server using its
   host name and port number, as described in section 3 of base DANE
   protocol [RFC6698].
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Then casual reader can see which document you refer to without jumping
to actual refences section. In quite few place you already have this
ok, (SMTP, POP3, IMAP etc), but RFC6186 and this dane-protocol
references are at least missing all descriptive text, they only have
reference.

I think the document should be understandable, even if you remove all
references (i.e. text between []) or replace them with just running
counter number.
-- 
[email-masked]