Subject: Re: [dane] Review of draft-ietf-dane-smime-15

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 11:26:45 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, John Levine wrote:

> They're experiments.  I'd think it'd be useful for the experiments to
> see whether salted or unsalted hashes work better (or worse.)

The experimental RFC for OPENPGPKEY is out already, and it does not
support salting. So I don't know how you would experiment with that.

If you are saying, since OPENPGPKEY uses unsalted, so let's pick
salted for the SMIMEA experiment, I'd say that's unwise and goes
against the wishes of the authors of both documents to use the
same lookup method.

It would also be mostly tested the operator, and no anything that
goes over the wire, so it would be pretty subjective and non-statistical
relevant. And I would predict the following outcome:

Experiment with 1 zone: both work great!

Experiment with many zones: Really happy using DNAME, so did not use salted.

With fedorahosted.org, fedorapeople.org, fedoraproject.org, I was
already in the latter category.

Paul

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Mar 2017 18:31:04 -0000

>against the wishes of the authors of both documents to use the

I would have thought that the contents of an RFC would represent RFC
consensus rather than the private preferences of the authors.

R's,
John