Subject: Re: [dc] draft-khasnabish-vmmi-problems-00.txt

From: "Richard.BoHan liu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:33:56 +0800

> The tunneling technologies mentioned (6to4, ISATAP, etc) should be kept out of data centers.

The tunneling technologies mentioned should belong to the scope of
VPN4DC. So inevitably, we need to do some work to make them
interoperable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM, <liu.bin21 at zte.com.cn> wrote:

Thomas, thank you for your comments!

About VM migration in the draft, we did not demand forcibly between
the different vender(or SPs), so your concerns may not
exist. As you say, "let's be realistic", our intention is to improve
the flexibility of VM migration, as well as the breadth
of applications under the premise of market heavyweights are not
opposed to it.In order to achieve these goals, analyse possible
problems, discuss and resolve these problems, such as: VM migration is
due to a non-public sector energy-efficient needs, rather than to
public access without interruption, or business needs of the user's
desktop migration, this demand may exist within a same service
provider, or you say a same vender with mixed network, for example:

With the promotion of IPv6 technology, the existing IPv4 networks will
be more and more IPv6 hosts, these applications driven
a series of tunnel technologies to provide solutions, such as: 6to4
tunnel technology, ISATAP tunnel technology, and so on.
Virtual machine migration technology will also be the basis of these
network environments,in the transition network using tunneling
transition technique, the connections between the subnets and the
backbone network are achieved through the tunneling gateway. In the
IPv4/IPv6 transition period, a variety of tunnels coexist. The
establishment of the tunnel varies with different gateways. The
traditional tunneling gateway only establishes tunnels for
communication with the same type of gateway, the different types of
traditional tunneling gateway cannot communicate with each other,
which cannot meet the requirements of VPN communications in the
transition period. A multi-tunnel VPN gateway is used to solve the
problem of establishing the tunnel between the heterogeneous gateways.

Many thanks for guidance

Regards,

Bin Liu

liu.bin21 at zte.com.cn
Richard.BoHan.liu at gmail.com

I understand the first section in the above comments regarding virtual
machines. In the context of IPv6 adoption for virtual machines or
rather generically in data centers, I see native IPv6-only or dual
stack as being the choice for numbering VMs. The tunneling
technologies mentioned (6to4, ISATAP, etc) should be kept out of data
centers.

-- 
--truman