Subject: [Dcrup] EDDSA implementation question

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 2017 20:54:16 -0000

If I wanted to work on, say, updating the python or perl DKIM
libraries to do eddsa, which crypto code should I use?  As far as I
can tell it isn't in openssl yet.

R's,
John

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:26:56 +0000

>can tell it isn't in openssl yet.

It looks like python-nacl has what's needed (quick look only, didn't investigate thoroughly).

Scott K

---

From: Peter Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 18:41:08 -0700

It also looks basic support is close in OpenSSL -
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/3503 .  This has been merged for
release in OpenSSL 1.1.1
Best,

Peter

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Dcrup mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcrup
>

-- 

Bringing Trust to Email

Peter Goldstein | CTO & Co-Founder

[email-masked]
+1.415.793.5783

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:42:53 -0400

The reference code in the RFC is python.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:47:06 +1000

It's not clear that the code in the RFC is free of side channels, so
it's probably not fit for use other than for verifying correctness of
outputs.

   Note: This code is not intended for production.  Although it should
   produce correct results for every input, it is slow and makes no
   attempt to avoid side-channel attacks.

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 02:31:21 +0000

I am biased, but I would like at pycrypto and ask them to wrap the openssl eddsa code.

---

From: Scott Kitterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 03:07:56 +0000

>I am biased, but I would like at pycrypto and ask them to wrap the

The python-nacl code has the advantage of being available.  It depends on how long you want to wait.  Also the API is high level enough to avoid having to get your hands into the low level guts of it all.

Speaking as a maintainer of a DKIM library (dkimpy), those are both very appealing properties.  

Scott K