Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:21:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: The Name Service Search Option for DHCP
	Author(s)	: C. Smith
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 04-Jan-00
	
This document defines a new DHCP option which is passed from the DHCP
Server to the DHCP Client to specify the order in which name services
should be consulted when resolving hostnames and other information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-02.txt>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:37:54 -0500

> In the above example, ns1 & ns2 are 16-bit integers corresponding to
> the name service servers option (this allows for evolution without
> the need for a separate table translating between these integers and
> the name services they represent).  For example, the current list,
> taken from RFC 2132, includes

I just read the draft, and I find the above wording somewhat
confusing.   What does "corresponding to the name service servers
option" mean?   I can figure it out from context, but this sentence
fragment is confusing.   I'd suggest the following paragraph instead:

> In the above diagram, ns1 and ns2 are 16-bit integers corresponding to
> two DHCP options that specify the IP addresses of two different types
> of name server.  The current list of name services and their DHCP
> option codes, as enumerated in RFC 2132, includes:
>
> [...]
>

Other than this nit, the draft looks fine.   I'd like to see the
wording changed before it goes to PS, and I'm sorry for not bringing
this up prior to the latest revision.    I hope that it's a small
enough change that it can be made without causing too much heartburn.

			       _MelloN_