Subject: Re: DHCP operation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:38:43 -0600

Please see the following log file.  That's what I meant by "search".  Is it
normal?

02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    .............. generate_containerpath:
Generating containerpat
h for 1-524153203012f3e2be6cbf0101000000
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Record address is 9.10.
30.240
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Record clue is 9.10.30.
2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
generate containerpath
flags = 1 1 0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.71.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.38.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.33.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.11.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.31.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: address to fi
nd = 9.10.30.2
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet to sea
rch = 9.10.30.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   ................ tree_srch_address:
tree search: subnet mask t
o apply = 255.255.255.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Subnet: 9.10.30.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Subnet: 9.10.30.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Subnet: 9.10.30.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] TRACE:   .............. generate_containerpath:
Subnet: 9.10.30.0
02/01 16:48:37 : [00001543] INFO:    .............. generate_containerpath:
Using address 9.10.30.2
40 for 1-524153203012f3e2be6cbf0101000000

Thanks

Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> on 02/09/2000 11:24:44 AM

To:   Hannah O Day/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
cc:   DHCPv4 discussion list <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Re: DHCP operation

> When a DHCP server receives a DISCOVER msg from a client residing on
subnet
> 8.10.120.0, should it search for an address from this subnet directly or
> should it search three or four of other subnets (such as 8.10.130.0,
> 8.10.90.0, 8.10.60.0) first before it searches the correct one?  The
> clients reach the server via relay agents.  I can't find any information
> via RFCs.

What do you mean, "search?"   It should reply with an offer that's on
the correct subnet, or not reply at all.   It does this using the
subnet declarations you define in combination with the giaddr from the
relay agent.  You should read up on subnet declarations and
shared-network declarations, get that clear in your mind, and then
maybe this will make sense.   If not, the DHCP Handbook describes the
process in gory detail.

                      _MelloN_

---

From: David Babbitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 12:47:03 -0600

The output that you're quoting is when the AIX DHCP server is descending
through all of the subnets that it has configured to find the one that
matches your relay agent's giaddr.  It's extraordinarily verbose when
TRACE logging is turned on, as you can see.

Continuing what Barr mentioned is that once the subnet is actually
matched, many other configuration options may prevent the client from
receiving an address OFFER from the server.  In AIX, these may not be
all that intuitive, so you'll have to consult its documentation or
sample files to see.

Implementation specific questions are not usually handled on this list,
so if you want to take this off-line, feel free to email me directly.

Thanks
-- 
David Babbitt
AIX TCP/IP Development
IBM Austin