Subject: RE: Is this possible?

From: "HIBBS, BARR (SBCSI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:18:51 -0800

> From: 	Andrew Hall[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Tuesday, February 22, 2000 8:20 AM
> 
> I have a server with two nic cards.  One single port Intel nic running
> dhcp
> client.  The dhcp client is only running on eth0.  I have a four port card
> in the server running dhcp server on pqfe0, pqfe1, pqfe2, and pqfe3.
> 
...what are you doing here?  It generally makes no sense to have the same
host be both a client and a server:  a server requires a fixed (static)
address assignment to preserve continuity in the network topology.

> My question is this can I have ports pqfe0-2 responding with one subnet
> and
> pqfe3 respond with another?  For example ports pqfe0-2 respond with subnet
> 192.168.10/24 and pqfe3 respond with 10.10.1/24.  I have looked at the man
> pages for dhcpd.conf and dhcp and found nothing covering this.  I have
> attempted to run two copies of the daemon and that fails also.
> 
...if your host supports multiple interfaces and you've properly configured
the server, it should "just work."

...the *entire* network topology reachable from the server must be declared.

...pqfe3 must have a 10.10.1.x address and be accessible only from the
10.10.1.0 subnet, that is, no routers or switches on 192.168.10.0 should
forward bootp packets to it, and it must be physically separate from
192.168.10.0 as well.

...pqfe0, pqfe1, and pqfe2 must be the inverse of pqfe3:  that is, they must
have addresses on the 192.168.10.0 subnet, be physically separate from the
10.10.1.0 subnet, and should never receive bootp packets from 10.10.1.0.

...the server will always respond to packets using the interface on which
the packet was received, so, with proper configuration it all should "just
work."

> Lastly is there a resource where this is covered?  I have been unable to
> find one.
> 
...probably not in so many words....

...have you tried configuring the server and had it fail?  If so, we need to
see the dhcpd.conf file that you are using, the exact messages written to
the syslog, and may need more information to help you debug the problem....

--Barr

---

From: "Andrew Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:08:18 -0500

I want to thank Barr for his assistance.  I was able to get it working.
What I have found is that since the interface must have an ip in the subnet
that the server is responding with that adding different subnets to specific
interfaces is as simple as ifconfig-ing the interface and added the subnet
in the dhcpd.conf file.

Thanks again.

Andrew Hall