Subject: RE: DHCP operation

From: "HIBBS, BARR (SBCSI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:28:28 -0800

the answer, unfortunately, is "it depends"

DHCP servers are supposed to offer clients IP address leases that are
appropriate for their use, if all other conditions and criteria are met:  in
the simplest case, this means from the same subnet as the client's request
was received.  But lots of other things may happen...

If the client is attached to a shared network segment with multiple subnet
addresses, the client may be offered any available IP address lease for the
shared network segment -- again, subject to local policy and configuration
that might restrict the choices available.

--Barr

> ----------
> From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Wednesday, February 09, 2000 9:12 AM
> To: 	DHCPv4 discussion list
> Subject: 	DHCP operation
> 
> Sorry to send the note to this list.  But I can't get answer from anybody
> and hope someone in this group will enlighten me.
> 
> When a DHCP server receives a DISCOVER msg from a client residing on
> subnet
> 8.10.120.0, should it search for an address from this subnet directly or
> should it search three or four of other subnets (such as 8.10.130.0,
> 8.10.90.0, 8.10.60.0) first before it searches the correct one?  The
> clients reach the server via relay agents.  I can't find any information
> via RFCs.
> 
> Thanks very much!
> 
> Hannah Day
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:11:21 -0600

Barr,

This is not a shared/campus environment  All segments have only one subnet.
There is no multiple subnets on one router interface.

"HIBBS, BARR (SBCSI)" <[email-masked]> on 02/09/2000 11:28:28 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   DHCPv4 discussion list <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  RE: DHCP operation

DHCP servers are supposed to offer clients IP address leases that are
appropriate for their use, if all other conditions and criteria are met:
in
the simplest case, this means from the same subnet as the client's request
was received.  But lots of other things may happen...

--Barr