Subject: DHCP operation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:12:38 -0600

Sorry to send the note to this list.  But I can't get answer from anybody
and hope someone in this group will enlighten me.

When a DHCP server receives a DISCOVER msg from a client residing on subnet
8.10.120.0, should it search for an address from this subnet directly or
should it search three or four of other subnets (such as 8.10.130.0,
8.10.90.0, 8.10.60.0) first before it searches the correct one?  The
clients reach the server via relay agents.  I can't find any information
via RFCs.

Thanks very much!

Hannah Day

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 12:24:44 -0500

> clients reach the server via relay agents.  I can't find any information

What do you mean, "search?"   It should reply with an offer that's on
the correct subnet, or not reply at all.   It does this using the
subnet declarations you define in combination with the giaddr from the
relay agent.  You should read up on subnet declarations and
shared-network declarations, get that clear in your mind, and then
maybe this will make sense.   If not, the DHCP Handbook describes the
process in gory detail.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 12:26:34 -0500

Oops, thought I was reading a different mailing list.   The manual
pages I was talking about are for the ISC DHCP server
(http://www.isc.org).   The treatment of this in the DHCP Handbook is
definitely more detailed and clear than that in the manual pages, so
if you're not using the ISC server anyway, I'd recommend the
Handbook.   OTOH, I'm one of the authors (Ralph is the other) so I'm
admittedly a bit biased.

			       _MelloN_