Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:16:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Extending DHCP into New Environments
	Author(s)	: A. McAuley, S. Das, S. Baba, Y. Shobatake
 	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 10-Mar-00
	
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a widely 
deployed framework for host registration and configuration [DHC]. 
DHCP, however, was designed only for fixed hosts on physically secure
LANs. Other protocols fill some of the gap. PPP [PPP] is a good 
solution for many commercial service providers (where framing is 
needed). Mobile IP [MIP] is ideal for registering and configuring
roaming users (when transparent address binding is needed). This 
still leaves many environments where there is no ideal solution,
such as: roaming users who do not need transparent address binding
e.g., a mobile web browser), and commercial service providers 
who want to support home networking with multiple nodes. This draft
proposes DHCP as the best protocol to meet these new needs, because 
it leave open how (and whether) to provide other functions, such as 
framing (e.g., PPP), locating (e.g., Mobile IP in co-located mode), 
inter-domain AAA (e.g., [AAAR]), or address distribution (e.g., 
[DAAP]). We describe and solicit feedback on seven new requirements 
that would be placed on DHCP to meet these needs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-enhance-requirements-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.