Subject: Failover comments

From: Steve Gonczi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:58:10 -0500

Hello,

I have an additional (optional) parameter to allow setting a new operational
parameter for load balancing.   I  figure  if you decide to put this in, it
is easier if you
pick the number for it.  Proposed text:

6.2.23.  Load balancing delayed service option

   If this option is present,  it allows a server that  implements load
balancing
   to respond in a delayed manner, instead of ignoring a client.
   If the option is not present, the client will not be served, unless the
hash value
   yields a "must serve" decision.
   If the option is present, the server MAY serve  the client, if the 'secs'
value
   sent by the client is not zero, or if the server detects multiple
requests from 
   the same client. 

        Code         Len        
   +-----+--------+------+-----+----+
   |  0    |  TBD |    0   |  1    |  1  | 
   +-----+--------+------+-----+----+

===============
Another issue:

I do appreciate the new  2 byte option  code / length format, and the
emphasis on
being in a different option space than the standard DHCP space.

I still think that keeping the type code the same as the existing DHCP
option values would have some
utility.  From the implementation angle, it is a pain in the kazoo to
maintain a mapping table between the 2 option spaces.

If the values were the same, it  would be a simple matter of expanding the
one byte value into a 2 byte value
for any existing option.

The Failover specific options could be placed far up, somewhere in the
30.000 range, to leave room for 
any imaginable future DHCP options.

/sG