Subject: DHCP APIs?

From: Bob Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:29:37 -0600

Newbie question...
Are there any APIs defined for accessing DHCP ?  For example, I might want
to write an application to query DHCP for IP addresses, DNS servers, etc.
based on various client identifiers - basically writing my own DHCP client.
Is there any way to do this?  References?

Thanks, and my apologies if the answer is obvious.
-
=================================
Bob Evans
Distributed Processing Environment Team
Network Systems Lab
Samsung Telecommunications America
1130 E. Arapaho Road
Richardson, TX 75081
VOX 972-761-7725 FAX 7799

---

From: Jason Goldschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:47:15 -0500 (EST)

Bob,

You might want to check out a project called JDHCP:
http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~jgoldsch/dhcp/

It is an API for DHCP written in Java.

-Jason 
[email-masked] 

> Thanks, and my apologies if the answer is obvious.

*************************************)
Jason Goldschmidt  [email-masked] *)
http://coral.bucknell.edu/~jgoldsch *)
"My Reality Check Bounced"          *)
                -Scott Adams        *)
*************************************)

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:18:50 -0700

> Is there any way to do this?  References?

There is a draft that defines a mechanism for using LDAP to access the
DHCP server's internal state, and also one for using SNMP.   This are
available at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts, and I think the files
are draft-ietf-dhc-ldap-schema-??.txt and draft-ietf-dhc-snmp-mib-??.txt,
or something like that.

The ISC DHCP server also includes an API for accessing the internal
server state called OMAPI, which is brand new and for which there's no
real documentation yet.   :'{

			       _MelloN_