Subject: Re: Renew after a move to another subnet while powered up

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:11:41 -0700

>I think the latest OpenTransport client does.
>
>			       _MelloN_

The DHCP client in Mac OS Open Transport versions 2.5 and higher will 
accept a kOTPortNetworkChange message from the Ethernet driver to inform 
it if a link-state change, and reconfigure a new address if necessary. 
However, that only works for drivers that generate the message. We're 
evangelising driver writers to generate this message, but they haven't 
all got the message yet...

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * <A HREF="http://ResComp.Stanford.EDU/~cheshire/">Web Page</A>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 02:35:02 -0700

>it if a link-state change, and reconfigure a new address if necessary. 

Indeed, Windows 2000 also has this feature, called Media Sense. It's 
also pretty important for detecting issues that could otherwise cause
the host to assume that it is in an auto-configuration situation, 
such as a loose cable. In such circumstances, a host could obtain a
linklocal address for itself even in the presence of a DHCP server,
causing considerable puzzlement on the part of the user as well
as the network admin.