Subject: *DRAFT* minutes for WG meeting in Adelaide

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:57:10 -0400

Below is a draft of minutes from the DHC WG meeting in Adelaide.  If you 
have additions, corrections, deletions or other comments, please reply to 
me or to the list by Monday, 4/17.

- Ralph Droms

Use of DHCP for configuration of IPSEC tunnel mode
Bernard Aboba
-------------
Aboba presented draft-ietf-ipsec-dhcp-04.txt describing use of DHCP
for client configuration through a VPN tunnel.  Aboba requested WG
input on format and contents of chaddr and client identifier in IPSEC
tunnel mode.

Use of DHCP for configuring multicast DNS behavior
Bernard Aboba
-------------
This work has been moved to DNSEXT.

DHCP Next Server Option
Mike Borella
------------
This option, specified in draft-ietf-dhc-nextserver-02.txt, is a
generic option that can carry multiple servers; first two are SIP and
DHCP.

DHCP authentication
Ralph Droms
-----------
WG approved WG last call for draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-12.txt
after minor editorial changes, including clarification that protocols
0 and 1 do not address inter-domain roaming but other protocols in the
framework may support inter-domain romaing.  Stuart Cheshire will
provide input about modifications to protocol 1 to accommodate
inter-domain roaming.

Domain search option
Ralph Droms
-----------
Ted Lemon/Pratik Gupta will manage this draft.  The current draft
needs technical decision on the encoding format (perhaps change to
"DNS wire format"?) and may need additional editorial changes.  Ted
and Pratik will exchange drafts and produce a new revision.

Requirements for Extending DHCP into New Environments
Subir Das
---------
Droms will initiate conversation about how to proceed on mailing list.

Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting Requirements for Roaming
Nodes using DHCP
Subir Das
---------
Droms will initiate conversation about how to proceed on mailing list.

Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-local Addresses
Automatically Choosing an IP Address in an Ad-Hoc IPv4 Network
Stuart Cheshire, Ralph Droms
----------------------------
The WG suggested that Cheshire submit his draft as an independent
submission for review by zeroconf and dhc WGs.

DHCP reconfigure option
P.De Schrijver
--------------
draft-ietf-dhc-pv4-reconfigure-00.txt is ready for WG last call.

Classless Static Routes option
Ted Lemon
---------
Ted will publish revision based on input from Bernard Aboba.  The
revised draft will be ready for WG last call

Report on Failover protocol
Ralph Droms (for Kim Kinnear)
-----------------------------
The authors of the failover protocol draft held a phone conference on
December 7.  Results of that phone conference have been incorporated
into the most recent revision of the specification,
draft-ietf-dhc-failover-06.txt.  Another conference call will take
place and a new revision of the specification will be published prior
to the next WG meeting in Pittsburgh.

Interaction between DHCP and DNS
Ted Lemon
---------
The current draft reflects the specification for DHCP-DNS interaction
using a new DHCP option and a new DHCP RR.  There was a suggestion
from the WG to split the specification into four documents:
1) specification of the new DHCP option
2) specification of the new DHCP RR
3) semantics for use of the DHCP RR
4) policies for resolving name conflicts
Droms will raise issue of splitting with draft with the author of the
draft, Mark Stapp.

DHCP lease query
Rich Woundy
-----------
Woundy presented a new option that can be used by relay agent to
determine client hardware address and link attachment point.  The
purpose of the option is to avoid use of ARP in reconstruction of
forwarding tables in a relay agent if the relay agent loses that
information.  The WG suggested considering SNMP or LDAP as
alternatives to this new option.  The WG agreed to take on the new
option as WG action item.

DHCP Option for PacketCable VoIP Client Configuration
Burcak Beser
------------
This new option is used to hand out different configurations behind one
IP address.  The author will ask for review on WG mailing list.

Guidelines and new format for DHCP options
Mike Carney
-----------
Carney discussed the latest revision of
draft-ietf-dhc-new-options-05.txt.  The WG suggested splitting the
draft into two docs: a description of guidelines for new options and a
new syntax for options.  Carney will consider this suggestion.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:07:31 -0700

Since many home gateways contain mini-DHCP servers and there
is no spec for how these ought to work, I thought I would
write one:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF47/draft-aboba-dhc-mini-00.txt

Comments welcome.

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

% 
% Since many home gateways contain mini-DHCP servers and there
% is no spec for how these ought to work, I thought I would
% write one:
% 
% http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF47/draft-aboba-dhc-mini-00.txt
% 
% Comments welcome. 
% 

Why should these DHCP servers work any differently than any other DHCP
servers?

--bill

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 05:29:00 -0700

>Why should these DHCP servers work any differently than any other DHCP

In general, they don't. But they do have additional mechanisms to 
provide for "no configuration" ease of use.